african dwarf frog in community tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brian7

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon with:
6 guppies
5 danios
5 tiger barbs
2 angel fish
1 rainbow shark
1 clown pleco
My girlfriend wants to get an african dwarf frog. I am looking for opinions and advice for keeping it in my set up. I am sure it would be fine, i am just worried about getting food to him... the fish are pigs:D

not pigs i was joking. but if i put food in the tank for a pleco or rainbow shark they are going after it. so is it best to no get on or just put food in at night and hope it finds it

I honestly am not sure, because the way I've seen people do it is they feed the fish and then while they're feeding they feed the frog. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't...maybe we should just wait for someone else to chime in.

I'm not sure either, it might be a busy environment for a frog (plus they like to be in groups) and at the very least you'll have to feed them by hand. They're also nearly blind and not very good swimmers so the 55 gal is probably too high for them. Siva is a member here who has a lot of experience with ADFs, you could send her a PM and ask. There's also an amphibian section; you might want to post your question there also. It ultimately might be better/safer to start up a smaller tank just for a few ADFs.

I have an ADF in a 29 gallon tank; I've had him for about 6 months. His name is Sad Kermit. Honestly, a standard 29 gal is kind of deep for him, so I'm not sure about ADFs in a 55 gal. They have to get up to the surface to breathe once in a while. I had two frogs, but the little one died from drowning, I'm afraid. If you decide you want one, definitely get the biggest one you can find.

I thought Sad Kermit would eventually figure out how to climb up on the decor and swim to the surface from there -- the top of the main decor piece is only about 6 inches from the top and has steps up to it that he could scale -- but he never did. ADF's are adorable, but stupid as all get out.

As others have mentioned, they don't see well, and have to find their food by smell. I put sinking pellets in for mine, but my fish seem to like those just as well as they like the floating food. I have some kuhli loaches and cory cats that don't bother the little guy... mostly I get mad because my betta will completely steal the pellet from the frog and swim off with it. He is still hanging in there after six months, but I'm perpetually worried about the poor little guy.

Back
Top Bottom