African Dwarf Frog issues.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fissyfriend

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello fellow forum members. I am new to this forum so I am still finding my way around. I have a lot to say and explain so I apologize in advance for such a long post but I really need help.
I have been having some issues with my African Dwarf Frog. I noticed about four or five days ago that my frog had been hanging out at the surface of the water. I do know that he is an African Dwarf Frog not a African Clawed Frog. I did some research on why he might be hanging out at the surface and I read that it could be due to poor water quality, so I did a water change two days later. I sometimes check on him to make sure is is alive by gently touching him with my fish net (not with the net side). He moves but just barely. He usually remains there for a period of time between three and five minutes, sometimes longer. I also have noticed that when he is up there he will grip the top of the heater as if holding on for dear life. He also does this with the filtration system. I think he is also attacking my Golden Mystery Snail and may be eating his tentacle thingys. I have read advice on how to ensure he is being properly fed, so I know I will be doing that. I have a ten gallon tank with three plastic plants and some gravel but that is it. I am working on getting another cave to put in the tank (my last one was chipping and coming apart so I took it out). I have a golden mystery snail and two neon tetras. I plan on getting some live plants and three more tetras. I do not have a test kit so I cannot tell you what my Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite and pH are.

What might be causing him to act in such a way? Do you have any advice for me to take better care of him? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Again I am sorry for the long post but I do not want my poor frog to die. :( My ghost shrimp died about a week ago so I don't want my frog to die too.

How long has the tank been set up? You should google some pics of clawed frogs, and dwarf so you can figure out what you have because if it is a clawed you NEED to get it a new home. They will eat everything and get too big for a 10 gallon. If it is a dwarf then it will be fine in a 10 gallon, but you need to have a lid that completely covers the tank because they will jump out. You also NEED to get yourself a API liquid test kit, they are foundation of the hobby.

I am positive that he is an African Dwarf Frog. He is not an African Clawed Frog. I just Googled it to check. My tank has been set up for about four or five months. I have a Marineland 10 gallon tank that is fully covered accept for where the filtration system is. Another thing that I have noticed is that he makes his body really stiff.

That sounds pretty normal to me honestly. Mine swims to the top, gets stiff and falls back to the bottom. He also likes to hang on to stuff. I would get your water tested to be sure but sounds like typical frog behavior.

Okay. Thank you so much! Do you think he is acting this way partly due to not having anywhere to hide?

Get him a fun centerpiece like a floating Betta log ($10) or floating plants or fake lily pads from a craft store? I don't have ADF but my buddy does, his are fat and hilarious and bob up and down, then shovel sand and food in Their chubby faces. It's fun to watch, I want a couple, not allowed to start too many more tanks lol.

Okay. Thank you so much! Do you think he is acting this way partly due to not having anywhere to hide?

They do like to have a safe hiding place. I would get him something for sure.
At first I didnt really like my little guy because he didnt want to eat. Then I tried holding bloodworms in my fingers and putting it right in front of his face and he finally took one. Now whenever he sees me he comes out of his cave and swims to the top. He is even comfortable resting on my hand while I feed him.

Oh good. Okay. That is good to know. The only thing that worries me about it though is that he just started doing this. That is all. But thank you guys so much! :)

Do you have a Petco or Petsmart near you? They will test your water for free if you bring them a sample. They both use strips which arent super accurate but its better than nothing.

Yes I do. My friend has a kit and I can ask if I can use theirs. So I will do that.

Back
Top Bottom