African Dwarf Frog Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Four pellets sounds better. I was really questioning this from the LFS. He said they don't eat much so a pellet us fine but it sounded way too little.

Do you think they will need to eat everyday? Or would every other day be ok?

The folks at the lfs prob don't realize how blind the frogs are and that they would love to eat more if they could just find the food :( The container says 5-6 pellets per frog per day but I think that's a bit too generous, at least for the size they are when you first bring them home. I think they need to eat every day. Mine are completely healthy and show no signs of being overweight and don't shed their skin too often. So, I'm pretty sure my feeding schedule is good :)

Ok that sounds good. I will probably feed like you except on the weekends they will have to be left unfed.

You might want to give some extra consideration to substrate, decor, and plants as well. A smooth substrate and making sure any decor has no sharp edges will help keep them healthy. I've moved to all live plants for mine, once I saw they spend their days in the live plants and never touch fakes. Also I've heard lots of horror stories of them getting pinned and drowning..make sure all decor/rocks are firmly planted in the substrate so the frogs can't bump them over and get pinned.

Hmmm. I have almost all live plants, but a couple of the decorations and the substrate do have rough edges...

They should be fine, had mine in with some sea shells and he was fine, just don't throw a porcupine in there lmao :)

Hmmm. I have almost all live plants, but a couple of the decorations and the substrate do have rough edges...

Their skin is very sensitive and if cut they will likely get an infection. I have had great success filing edges on most decor with a standard metal nail file :cool: This is a must for bettas as well...and really is good for all fish. Some decor really seems to be made thoughtlessly!

Yeah... can't imagine going through that much work for a pet we only wanted on a whim. XD

Back
Top Bottom