African Dwarf Frog question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keflan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought 2 ADF yesterday and put them in my big tank. I jut got back from work and the pet store and noticed one of my ADF was dead on the bottom. My other ADF is hiding behind the filter between the filter and the tank. Is this normal?

Well I went the pet store after work and got myself 2 Pygmy Corries to go with my 5 WCMM and Male Betta.

My question is. Should I risk putting another frog in the big tank or should I put the ADF with the Betta?

Thanks

For the one to hide is normal. They can sometimes be shy especially in a new environment.
For the other to die right off...not so normal. Your lfs should have a guarantee that would replace him.

As for where you should put your frogs, what else is in the big tank? They are typically fine with most community fish. However, if you want them in with your beta they do great together as well.

It doesnt survive if the tank is too steep.. They are better in small tanks..

Mine have been kept in a 10gal and a 14gal I wouldn't put them in anything bigger as they need to get to the top to breathe and aren't very strong swimmers. Mine did fine with my betta and some shrimp but they seem to do better in groups. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Big tank is 30g. The height of the water is 15" high.

15 inches is fine. They are fine in anything up 24 inches. They are not good competetors for food however.

I have had 2 female ADF for almost a year. I also have lost a couple male ADF. I found that when I first got my set I fed them pellets that the LFS suggested and they were lethargic and not interested. As soon as I started feeding them frozen blood worms (defrosted) they came to life. These ADF 's are so much fun. They have so much personality. They are currently in a 16" high tank and can reach the top for air when they need it. They have been around platys, neons, guppys community the fish and they are not bothered. They are so much fun once you get a system and make sure they have a cave to hide in.

It's probably just hiding but it could be that it is in fear of something else in the tank. Be careful with ADF's and power filters, I use sponge filters only for them because they can become caught and drown in power filters.

IMO bettas are one of the worst tankmates for frogs. Healthy ADF's will do great in a 30 gal, depending on what else you have in there.

ADF's are often kept improperly and a quick die off after purchase isn't that unusual. I frequently see them in shops emaciated, clearly starving.

I recommend keeping them in species only tank, since they do not have good eyesight and have a difficult time competing with fish for food. If you do keep them with fish, make sure you target feed the frogs by dropping the food right on their noses with something like a turkey baster. Feed only frog/tadpole pellets and defrosted frozen foods like bloodworms and brine shrimp, their digestive systems are sensitive. Keep their water heated to approx. 80 degrees, they come from very warm waters and will not thrive in cool conditions. They are very social creatures and should be kept in groups, with a ratio of 1M to 2F being best. You can sex them easily because the males have a small bump in their armpit.

Back
Top Bottom