African Dwarf Frogs??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

@HOME

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just thinking about maygbe adding a dwarf frog to my tank. I think having one animal other than fish to my tank. I understand they grow to an avg of around 2" - 2 1/2" so the room will be no problem. The possible problem would be that my tank has tiger barbs and a red-tailed shark. The "shark" being territorial around the bottom of the tank, will he get pissed off at the frog. Also could the barbs be a hassle for him or do you think the frog 1- could fend for himself and 2- would be left somewhat alone? Any thoughts or comments will be greatly appreciated!!

Are you thinking about African Claw, or African Dwarf?

Is it white, or albino looking? If so its a Claw and not a dwarf.

If it IS a dwarf, All they do is sit on the bottom and act like a rock, only making mad dash sprints for the surface whenever they need a breath, then back down to the bottom.

I've also had experiance with the odd few that prefered to do nothing more than float at the top of the tank.

IMHO, I don't think anyone would mess with him..

aslong as you don't have crabs or crawfish, or things of that nature. Then it will be a easy to capture snack.

The dwarf for sure. I like the way they just sit for awhile and then make that made dash!! Plus my cat loves to try and catch the fish through the glass and I think the frog would drive her nutz... ...in a good way though. But for sure the dwarf just for size restrictions.

Dwarf african frogs rock, I got 4 of them. My rainbow shark has never bothered them, though I can't say a red-tail won't. Nothing in my tanks have ever took a stab at them.

looking at your stock with the frogs makes me think the frog will do just fine. Barbs and a shark that is most likely bigger than mine. Thanks again!

looking at your stock with the frogs makes me think the frog will do just fine. Barbs and a shark that is most likely bigger than mine. Thanks again!

Anyone know if the intro of a frog into a comm. tank would be the same as fish?

Also, to add to @HOME's very good questions, should you get more than one, or are they happier by themselves?

I don't think that the frogs are any happier with more of their kind or all alone. I have one in my tank and he/she seems to be fine. The only good I can see of having multiple frogs in the same tank would be the increase of matings.

I think that you would be just fine adding a frog or two to your tanks. Williams is right ADF's basically just sit on the bottom of the tank and only make a mad dash to the surface when air is needed. My frog will also do that floating thing. It almost becomes a game between my son and myself to see who can find the frog first.

Well, I added the frog. For the first night I didn't see him once. Since I am still quite new to the hobby I was a little stressed that he didn't make the transition. But the next day right after feeding, he decided to finally explore the new home. He seems to be ok with the fish around him, although the fish sure are curious and like to just watch the frog. Most of the time he'll hide out but he does come out and play a little. My biggest strugle is getting him fed. With all the other fish diving in to eat his shrimp it is a bit challenging. A hint that i got from the lfs is to feed the other fish first, and then actually placing the shrimp in and around where he hides out. I put the food right down to his cave and allow it to go all around his hiding spot. Alot of the shrimp gets gobbled up by the barbs but I know that some does fall and he'll get at it. Anyways just thought I'd share that is entrance was a success and so far he's doing great. Thanks for the info!

@HOME, glad to hear of the success.

How did you introduce him into the tank? Did you do usual fish routine of floating the bag for awhile, and then adding water from the tank into the bag?

I'm just wondering if frogs require a different method because they don't actually breath from the water.

Thanks.

You can also get a small glass jar, like a baby food jar, and put some bloodworms in it (my frogs are particularly fond of bloodworms). After feeding the other fish, lower the jar on its side into the same location in the tank (I do right front corner, so I can see them) with a pair of aquarium tongs, and kinda scoot the frog into the jar. They learn real fast where the jar is and what it's for, and will look for it at feeding time.

I always take the jar out after feeding, so none of the fish decide to claim it as "home sweet home."

I was thinking of getting an ADF or two when the 29 gal is upgraded to a 50 gal. Does anyone know the max depth the ADF can handle? :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom