African Dwarf frogs feeding.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thanew

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok, i've kept my ADF in a 10 gallon for about the last 4 months, but I noticed this morning that there was a leak, so I immediately removed them and placed them in my 55 gal with my cichlids...

they seem to like it, but I have ran into one problem.. feeding.

i had a problem before with blood worms in this tank (my pictus loved them) but one of my cichlids got bloat after that and shortly died :(

so I'm wondering what is a safe food that for both the cichlids and the frogs (it is inevitable that the cichlids will get ahold of the food somehow, that just seems to be their nature :) )

I was thinking daphnia, but I really need something that gets to the bottom since thats where they reside

thanks,
-thane

well i do use brine shrimp pellets for the pictus they do eat those but I was just wondering if it would actually fulfill some nutrition reqs.

I keep one small adf in my com. tank. Shortly after I got him i noticed that he wasn't getting any food. Of course the fish have the advantage and usually eat it all before it has chance to get to the frog. Here's what someone suggested i try and it works. If you have a little jar, (baby food is perfect size) fill the jar with tank water, drop in a little bit of frozen brine shrimp. (mine loves that the most) You must wait for the food to thaw as frozen food could expand after eaten. Slowly move the jar down to the bottom of the tank. Place the jar so the top/open end is pointed into the frogs hiding spot. (or just somewhere that would be hard for the fish to get at. Wait about 5 seconds and he'll be all over it. Then you can pull it out and any leftovers will be gone before you know it. HTH

I use this for when I'm feeding mine live worms and frozen food: http://www.petdiscounters.com/customer/product.php?productid=1157259
It hangs on top of the aquarium so I put them in there and put the worms in. I don't have to worry about any worms going into the gravel and whatnot. Just a suggestion..
It's just like the containers they use at fish stores when they take the fish out of the tank before putting bagging them.

I'd try a sinking pellet like you use for cory cats. Mazdaman's suggestion is a great one, too, as at least for me, ADF's are blind as bats and need the food to be right in front of them. You could also try using a syringe or turkey baster and literally squirting bloodworms right at them.

You may want to cover your filter intake with a sponge or something because I have heard about them getting sucked into the intake of filters in larger tanks, not actually into the tube but trapped against the intake for long enough to kill them.

Depends on how big the pictus cats are but they might consider the frogs to be lunch at some point.

TankGirl pretty much covered most of what I was going to suggest--use a pipette (or surenge) to directly squirt the BW at/around the ADF. Also, if they'll accept tubifex, put a hunk of tubifex on the end of a bamboo kabob rod. Lower it down towards it & see if it'll eat from it.

I've successfully raised two eels, Bumble Bee Gobies, and a Black Ghost Knife with these techniques.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom