African Dwarf Frog's HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy Aston

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello

My friend is getting rid of her frog and i was wondering if i could rehome it.

I have enough space

But what do they need?
Special feeding?
Special Light?
Ph?

Community Fish?

Will they be ok with other bottom strata fish?

Thanks

Any Advice Will Help
As i need to make a decsion soon

Just one? They like to be in groups. I'd suggest a separate tank for the frogs. As I mentioned in PM, your tanks are massively overstocked already and I wouldn't put a frog in with sharks nor does the smaller tank have room.

If you wanted to take it, I'd suggest setting up a 5-10 gal for it and get it some friends. They like heated water to 80 degrees. You may have to hand feed them as they are nearly blind. The tank should be filtered and cycled as well. H&H Frog and Tadpole bites are best for them along with frozen bloodworms.

Hello

My friend is getting rid of her frog and i was wondering if i could rehome it.
It needs one buddy at the very least. They are social critters.

I have enough space
Tank size?
But what do they need?
A planted tank with a smooth substrate. If you use gravel it should be too large to swallow. Temp should be 80. A sponge filter is best. Frogs can become stuck and drown in the intake tube of HOB filters. All decor needs to be firmly secured into the substrate, as the frogs will often slam back down after surfacing for air and can easily knock things over, become pinned, and drown.
Special feeding?
Frog & Tadpole bites and frozen foods. They should not be in a tank where they will have access to other pellets and wafers. They should not be fed any freeze dried foods. They have sensitive digestive systems. The frogs are nearly blind, so feeding in the same place every day is best, both so they learn where to find the food when they smell it, and to prevent a mess. A feeding dish works best in a species only tank. In a community tank, the frogs can easily be outcompeted for food, and should be hand/target fed.
Special Light?
Nope.
Ph?
6-8 is fine.

Community Fish?
IMO no. Frogs can kill fish and vise versa. Not to mention the feeding issues cause by their lack of sight. Also, in a frog only tank, you never have to subject your frogs to fish medications.

Will they be ok with other bottom strata fish?
No. Other bottom feeders will need to be fed pellet/wafer foods that are not suitable for the frogs.

Thanks

Any Advice Will Help
As i need to make a decsion soon
Comments in red :)

They also like frozen brine shrimp in addition to frozen bloodworms. They do best in their own tank, but I had with white cloud mountain minnows with no problem. Just feed the minnows first with some flake food and then put in the frozen cubes. The minnows will eat some of the frozen food, but enough will sink to the bottom for the frogs. They do have a good sense of smell and can smell food when you put it in the tank. They do fine without a heater if room temperature is about 70 degrees. Give them rocks and places to hide under and some plants.

I disagree about the temp. ADF's are from very warm African waters and are prone to illness when kept in water that cool. Though wild specimens may be accustom to temps in their native waters dropping to 70 at night, the tank bred specimens we keep as pets should not be kept in temps that low. They may survive at that temp, but I don't believe it's what is most comfortable for them. On more than one occasion I have heard another hobbyist report noticing a great difference in their frogs behavior once they increased the heat to a more natural zone for them.

In my experience the above mentioned feeding technique does not work. Especially if your substrate is not sand. I recommend taking a little extra care and using at turkey baster to deposit food into a small feeding dish for them, or atleast inside a piece of decor or something like that. You'll have less crud rotting away in the crevices of your substrate, and well fed frogs w/o overfeeding the tank.

I agree with the above posts. You don't have room and your current stock is not suitable for ADFs.

Ok

Thanks for all the feedback

So other fish food can be in the tank?
Or it wont it really matter?

I will keep a eye out to watch them get the food if they dont then i will put the food at the bottom for them to get.

Would a smallish pleco try and attack the frogs?

Are they ok with small fish , like neon tetras?

Thanks

And how big do they get?

THANKS GUYS!

Ok

Thanks for all the feedback

So other fish food can be in the tank?
Or it wont it really matter?
Flake will be fine. Be careful not to overfeed, and what the frogs find on the bottom should be very minimal. Other formulations of fish foods like pellets and wafers should generally be avoided for any tank with ADF's.

I will keep a eye out to watch them get the food if they dont then i will put the food at the bottom for them to get.
To be clear, they will feed from the bottom. They can't see well so they won't really feed on food floating around, and the foods they should be eating which are frog & tadpole bites (you can find the HBH brand at most pet shops) and frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, or mysis shrimp, will sink quickly so they won't even know it's there until it's already at the bottom. You can hand/target feed them, by depositing the food right on the nose of the frog, or they will eat from the bottom. If they are in a community setting, you will need to watch to make sure they are getting their share before the fish rob it. Most fish tend to seek out any last bloodworm in the tank pretty quickly, so I strongly advise you have a system in place for effecient feeding of the frogs. Otherwise you will end up with overfed fish as you will have to continue adding more food in attempts to get the frogs adequately fed (a situation I found myself in the first time I attempted to keep them in a community setting).
Would a smallish pleco try and attack the frogs?
No. I wouldn't expect the frogs to attack the pleco either. However I do think it's possible they could get into a scuffle that could potentially damage the fish or the frogs. My frogs get into a scuffle from time to time and they do make a big commotion. The frogs have very sensitive skin and are prone to infections if damaged. I would not pair them with any catfish. Also, as I mentioned, they shouldn't have pellets (other than the frog) and wafers available to them, and plecos feed on these types of foods. They have no teeth or tongue and swallow their food whole. You'll can end up with a frog that has bloat or dropsy if it swallows large pieces of algae wafer and the like.

Are they ok with small fish , like neon tetras?
The smaller the fish is, the more likely it will become a snack for the frogs.
Thanks
No prob. :)
And how big do they get?
About 1.5" - 2" long. The males will keep a slender build, but the females will have a larger pear shaped abdomen. It's best to stock 2 females for every male, so he doesn't wear them out too bad during amplexus(breeding). You'll know amplexus is happening when you see a male with his arms wrapped around the abdomen of the female, as she drags him around the tank...sometimes for hours. You can also hear the male "sing" to attract females. They make a fairly loud humming/buzzing sound. To sex frogs you can look for a little bump under the armpit that only males have. When they are full grown you can also notice the size/shape difference between them, and the males have Popeye-like arms, a design which aids them in hanging on to the female during amplexus.
THANKS GUYS!
comments in red

Hey

Sorry my computer shut down.

Thanks very much.

I am waiting for them to come out of quartine at my LFS.

Am going to get two of them and try my best to make sure they get fed .

GOO FROGIES! :D

Fishy Aston said:
Hey

Sorry my computer shut down.

Thanks very much.

I am waiting for them to come out of quartine at my LFS.

GOO FROGIES! :D

Feeding is not the only issue. With your current stock, other fish will probably pick on the frogs. How tall is the tank?

Fishy Aston said:
And it is 30cm so enough air for them to go up to the top and get a breath of air!

I think you mean it's not too tall for them to go get a breath.

I have to be really blunt here, I guess. You're being told you do not have an appropriate tank for these frogs. You have been given an assortment of reasons why they will not do well in your tank. But you're getting them anyway? Why?

Fishkeeping (in this case frogkeeping) is about them, it's not about us, it's about them. What they need to not only survive, but thrive. A fishkeeper does what's right for the species. You can't be selfish and be a good fishkeeper.

I have to be really blunt here, I guess. You're being told you do not have an appropriate tank for these frogs. You have been given an assortment of reasons why they will not do well in your tank. But you're getting them anyway? Why?

Fishkeeping (in this case frogkeeping) is about them, it's not about us, it's about them. What they need to not only survive, but thrive. A fishkeeper does what's right for the species. You can't be selfish and be a good fishkeeper.

Ok , well I am making sure they get fed!

They have the correct temperature and can go to the top to get water.

Whats wrong? I am doing nothing wrong to frogs?

LyndaB said:

+ 1 we have all advised against it and given plenty of reasons. Your tank is not suitable for them.

Fishy Aston said:
Ok , well I am making sure they get fed!

They have the correct temperature and can go to the top to get water.

Whats wrong? I am doing nothing wrong to frogs?
You put them in an already overstocked tank, causing a lot more problems.

Back
Top Bottom