African Leaf Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishmonger

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone know about these fish? I was wondering if they can go with Mbuna Cichlids. The leaf fish gets to be about 6in and and is agressive as well. Anyone have any info on this really good looking fish?

I would not suggest it as the water parameters that they do best in differ....Polycentropsis abbreviata prefers a pH of 6.0-7.0, whereas your Malawis do best at around 8.0....as well the cichlids are a lake fish, wheras the P. abbreviata is found in slow moving streams and rainforest ponds.

They are way cool fish and are often difficult to get to eat, so sometimes people have trouble keeping them. I believe there is a "false" one and a "real" one so if you decide to set up a soft, acidic tank for one you might want to research what you are getting.

What do you mean by a "false" one and a "real" one? Another question... Has anyone ever kept them with cichlids?

are you sure it's not this leaf fish, which is from South america NOT africa.

The other post is the african leaf fish, but is actually named the spotted climbing perch.

OK....to set a couple of things straight:

1) There are TWO 'true' African Leaf Fish.....one is Polycentropsis abbreviata (which Toirtis mentioned)....and the other is the 'Four Spined African Leaf Fish which is Afronandus sheljuzhkoi. These fish are both Nandids.

2) There is the fish that PetsMart is now selling as 'Spotted African Leaf Fish'. These are Ctenopoma acutirostre, also called the Leopard Bush Fish. They are predatory African anabantids (related to gouramis).

3) None of these fish are found in the African Rift Lakes (like Tanganyika or Malawi) and will not do well in the hard, alkaline conditions that fish from those lakes prefer.

4) None of these fish is particularly aggressive and will do well in community tanks with fish they cannot swallow. HOWEVER....do NOT underestimate the capacity of these fish!! Polycentropsis and Afronandus are both capable of swallowing a fish 1/3 or better of their own size.

5) I would not, personally, try keeping any of these fish with larger cichlids. They (the Leaf Fish) would probably be bullied unmercifully. I have kept Polycentropsis successfully with 'kribensis'-type cichlids.

-Joe

That is the first time I have seen Ctenopoma acutiroste referred to as a 'false leaf fish'....usually that name is reserved for another, closely related African Nanid, Polycentrus schomburki.

Oooooooooh!! Gotcha Toirtis!!! :lol: :lol: Polycentrus schomburgki is a South American Nandid!!

I do agree that Ctenopoma acutirostre should NOT be called a Leaf Fish of any sort but that's what PetsMart is selling them as right now. Of course....they're also the nits that started referring to Polypterus senegalus as 'Dinosaur Eels'.

-Joe

On a side note, Toirtis (not to hijack this thread)....Wes over at Rarefish has some African Nandids coming in tomorrow at my request. Should be either Polycentropsis or Afronandus or maybe even both! Check his post at Aquatic Predators. My name is already on THAT list!!

-Joe

Fruitbat said:
Oooooooooh!! Gotcha Toirtis!!! :lol: :lol: Polycentrus schomburgki is a South American Nandid!!

Really? I was sure that they were African as well. Of course, I only have experience with abbreviata....ah, I see the error, I confused schomburgki with sheljuzhkoi! :p

It was indeed the fish that Petsmart sells as an "African Leaf Fish" which I was referring to. Thanks for all the info. It's still a beautiful fish. Says they will get to 6in. Is this true? And I can put them in a community tank you say?

Fishmonger.....

This is the fish you're referring to:

Ctenopoma acutirostre
cacutirostre13.jpg

I wrote a profile on this fish for this forum. You can access it here:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=28445

You can keep Bush Fish in a community tank as long as the tankmates are large enough to not be swallowed. Don't let the fish fool you. It can handle a fish the size of a full-grown female guppy with relative ease.

-Joe

The "African Leaf Fish" that I am familiar with has no spots, but actually resembles a leaf floating in the tank.

You're correct, TankGirl. The one you're referring to is Polycentropsis abbreviata which is commonly called the African Leaf Fish. The one that fishmonger is referring to is Ctenopoma acutirostre which is what PetsMart is selling as the 'Spotted African Leaf Fish'.

Back
Top Bottom