African Leaf Fish Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is kind of a spin off of my other thread, http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-tank-what-do-i-do-209189-12.html#post1968257 , this is the actual build! I decided on my theme on the first thread.
So as the title says this is a tank for African Leaf fish(Polycentropsis abbreviata). I plan on having a pair of them with a trio of South American Bumble Bee Catfish (not like Bumble Bee Gobies). I also plan on having a Bushy Nosed Pleco and a school of mediumish fish. I was thinking Turquoise Danios, Red Eyed Tetras, or Penguin Tetras but I am not really sure on those yet......
The tank is going to have a sand and seashell substrate. For decor I was thinking (but am still open to suggestions on) a sunken ship and some driftwood and rocks with plants attached. I was thinking Java Fern, Anubias, and some kind of Moss (maybe a cut up Marimo Moss Ball).
Equipment wise I will be using an Aqueon Quiet Flow 30 Filter (for now) but I need help on deciding on a light (Must be able to grow low light plants AND have moonlights)

So I will be buying the tank soon (probably a 26 gallon bowfront) I hope you will follow along and give me some much needed advice and suggestions!

Thanks and God bless!

African leaf fish need soft acidic water i believe. Depending on the amount of seashells you plan on using it may effect your ph btw. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
I'm following along also. I always wanted a species only tank with them. Goodluck

What's the lenght of the 26G bow front? I'll look through some great websites and post when I find the kind of light your looking for:)

What about having a black water tank to make them feel even more at home? I know it has some great benefits.

African leaf fish need soft acidic water i believe. Depending on the amount of seashells you plan on using it may effect your ph btw. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
I'm following along also. I always wanted a species only tank with them. Goodluck
Yea I thought about that. Right now I have it in my 5 gallon. The shells alone might be able to cover the bottom on a 5 gallon and they are smooth small shells. I will keep an eye on that. I collected them from the beach myself :) I picked only the smooth nonporous ones for the most part.
What's the lenght of the 26G bow front? I'll look through some great websites and post when I find the kind of light your looking for:)

What about having a black water tank to make them feel even more at home? I know it has some great benefits.
The lenght is 24 inches.
Im also following but I don't know anything about lighting.
Well thanks for following! I have plenty of other questions you can help with lol
Following!:)
Thanks!

Love it! Do you trust aquatraders? Also, where can I get a glass top so I can fit it on my tank?

never done any buisness with them, but heard pretty good reviews. Ive seen some for sale at petco/petsmart but maybe try going to a glass shop? im not sure sorry lol

never done any buisness with them, but heard pretty good reviews. Ive seen some for sale at petco/petsmart but maybe try going to a glass shop? im not sure sorry lol
Thats alright. I found a glass top on Amazon. I really like that light. Can I run 2 no bulbs in it instead of 4 ho though? I think the African Leaf Fish likes dimmer lighting.

Ok I did some research on the Odyssea light and aquatraders. Aquatraders got an F rating from the better business burea. Odyssea lights supposedly have a problem with catching on fire. Does anybody else make a light like that one minus the spontaeous combustion lol
What I was thinking for lighting: Versa Glass Top- 30$
Coralife dual bulb t5 no: 42$
TrueLumen 3 LED linking module x2 about 32$
Thoughts?

I went to my LFS today and they had South American Leaf Fish! I wish they werent to big!

Following..... definitely considering getting one as well. It seems that their desire for dim light may adversely affect the possibility of a well planted tank. Something I've contemplated.

I personally use a deep blue see t5 fixture with freshwater bulbs. It tends to run a bit hot but when purchased from a lfs the warranty is unbeatable.

Also what size tank??

I looked at the plants you might be keeping and I say no need to spend oodles on lighting. The Petsmart ones may be just fine jmo

Following..... definitely considering getting one as well. It seems that their desire for dim light may adversely affect the possibility of a well planted tank. Something I've contemplated.

I personally use a deep blue see t5 fixture with freshwater bulbs. It tends to run a bit hot but when purchased from a lfs the warranty is unbeatable.
Thanks :) If you use low light plants and a cover plant like frogbit it should work.
Also what size tank??

I looked at the plants you might be keeping and I say no need to spend oodles on lighting. The Petsmart ones may be just fine jmo
Ok so cheap light. YES! lol Only issue is I really need moonlights as this is gonna be in my room by my bed!

I'm certain there is a cheaper way for moonlighting.... search the DIY section? Lol not too sure though.... I'll contemplate it and let you know what I can think up.

I'm certain there is a cheaper way for moonlighting.... search the DIY section? Lol not too sure though.... I'll contemplate it and let you know what I can think up.
I am considering buying some blue LEDs are putting them on the glass top.

:) sounds good. Also check Craigslist and see if anyone is breaking down or upgrading their tank. Check for lights or post an ad of your own

I will probably try and make my own. To many creepers on facebook lol
Oops I meant craigslist lol

I would never use Seashells in a Freshwater tank , esp if my fish need soft acidic water.

Look at Bolbitis, they are an African Water Fern and mine has grown great. Similar growth like Java Fern, but cool triangular leaves. Also has a rhizome.

hmmmm.... maybe I will leave them out though it will stink because that was alot of work!
I went to my LFS today... I will be buying my tank from Petsmart. They want 150 for a 26 bow with NOTHING incuded! Although I wonder if a 29 would be better. Only issue is this: would the LEDs built in the hood be worth anything? Would they even light up the tank?
I also need to consider the stand. Build my own or buy premade?

My grandparents have a fancy store bought LED hood on their tank. I personally say the one they have is NOT worth it though it looks great. Not for supporting plant life anyway.

Why are you buying a NEW tank?

PS I totally stole your idea and have decided to turn my guppy tank into a leaf fish tank! SO excited. debating on add my cray to this tank now as well.

Back
Top Bottom