After owning an apple snail for 3 weeks....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gfink

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going to have to say that he is the best cleaner I've ever had!

He does more work than my 3 otos combined. He cleans the glass of algea...
He scours my driftwood making it look like it has been scrubbed clean.

Fantastic worker. I might have to spend some time learning how to sex them so I can get another of the SAME sex. (don't want lots of baby snails)

http://applesnail.net/

Mine were like that at the start, always looking for food, now they're lazy, I hardy ever see them out unless they're trying to reproduce or really need something to eat, they maybe move onve or twice every 2days. Btw, if you get pairs like I did, don't leave the eggs they produce or in about 2 weeks you'll have 100+ baby snails around your tank, this might seem like a good idea at the time, but about 40 of them will survive and start become a bit of a pest unless you keep them in their own tank and keep removing their eggs.

Hope you're snail is fit and does'nt become like all 60 of mine!

Well, I just read up on identifying males and females....fprget it, I'll nevere figure that out. One will do fine. :)

they do keep your tank nice and clean. I have one in my 20L female betta tank and two in the 10g breeding tank.
gfink, thanks for posting that link. Lots of good info there... (y)

I would love to get some apple snails but cannot find any locally. I am sure that 100 degree heat is just too hot to ship them in...correct?

We used to keep apple snails in our pond in TX. They were great! When they are totally happy they will close up their shells and float around in the water! (is that what you mean by surfing jchillin?)

Also, if you watch you shouldn't have a problem with babies. They lay their eggs outside of the water line and are easy to remove if you so choose. We started out with either 2 or 4 snails and when we drained the pond we had over 100!

That is a great website. I learned a lot there when we had apple snails.

kimberly said:
We used to keep apple snails in our pond in TX. They were great! When they are totally happy they will close up their shells and float around in the water! (is that what you mean by surfing jchillin?)

Yes indeed :) Though mine have done this fully extended.

Hara said:
would love to get some apple snails but cannot find any locally. I am sure that 100 degree heat is just too hot to ship them in...correct?

With proper packing, they can be shipped in that heat. PM me if you want to give it a go. :) I usually get mine absolutely fee.

Applesnails are usually good algae eaters when they are starving such as when you first get them and they haven't been fed anything at the store. They'd benefit greatly from some blanched lettuce leaves or sinking crab bites. Mine absolutely love crab bites but it does depend on the type of applesnail you have as to whether it prefers veggies or meaty foods.

Back
Top Bottom