After quarantine....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
So we know (or should know) to always quarantine new fish, but after the fishs 'x' week stay in qt should they be acclimated to the DT or just droped right in?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I never acclimate fish that I move between my tanks- but the caveat is that all of my tanks have straight tap water from the same faucet, nothing in the tank that changes the chemistry (except for aragonite sand in the multi tank and driftwood in the GBR tank), have within 2 degrees of the same temperature, and get water changes at the same time. So all water quality should be very close to the same. (except for the ram and multi tanks, but those are single-species tanks so I've never added fish to them except for initial introductions.)

I just net the fish, run over to the new tank, and plop them in.

Ok so I'm not the only one that does that method. Have to move 4 kuhlies this weekend and I'm not looking forward to it. Loaches are a PITA to catch especially these small ones!

Ok so I'm not the only one that does that method. Have to move 4 kuhlies this weekend and I'm not looking forward to it. Loaches are a PITA to catch especially these small ones!

Oh, I've been there. I had to net 4 kuhlis, 5 yoyos and a kubotai to get them into the new 55. (and of course the bajillion loaches I've had in the past) Good luck in your challenging endeavor :hide:

I prefer to use the method my hand and a waterbottle trap to catch them :D works like a charm everytime

So we know (or should know) to always quarantine new fish, but after the fishs 'x' week stay in qt should they be acclimated to the DT or just droped right in?

As others have posted, if the water in both tanks is relatively the same, then there should be no need to acclimate but if they are different, or they are of very different temperatures, I would acclimate. (y)

Which is what I try to do. Though WCs in the qt are not as regular as they should be...

I do a couple of water changes in the QT with water taken from my main tank prior to moving the fish over. My QT and main tank use the same source water but the main tank parameters are affected by decor, plants, Co2, ferts etc. I do this more so with sensitive fish and I've not had any problems.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom