Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Aggression

Hi, can anyone advise - I have a 110 L set up with external filtration and LED lighting, within this are 5 x Platys, 1 x Red tail black shark, 1 x Black ghost knife fish and a small loach (unknown as thrust upon me!). Everything has been fine and all seem to be happy but the Shark has suddenly (from yesterday) been entering the Knifefish cave and chasing him out into the open which he is obviously not happy about, the shark is also harassing the loach as soon as there is any hint of food about. I am concerned for the welfare of the Knifefish predominately as it is a very peaceful fish? Why would the balance of the tank change when it has been very peaceful for ages? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

the shrk and the knifefish both need a much bigger tanhk.and possibly the loach(who,btw,needs buddies).

Old 06-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sharks claim territory at the bottom of the tank and as they get older (and bigger) they tend to claim more and more. The shark is probably not wanting to share hiding places with the knifefish...

...also I don't know what 110 liters is, cause, like many Americans, I am too stubborn to learn most metric conversions.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunks-McGoo
Sharks claim territory at the bottom of the tank and as they get older (and bigger) they tend to claim more and more. The shark is probably not wanting to share hiding places with the knifefish...

...also I don't know what 110 liters is, cause, like many Americans, I am too stubborn to learn most metric conversions.
Thanks for advice - both fish are less than 3" at the mo but the sharks behaviour has defiantly changed - 110 L is about 29 us gal and about 26 uk gal (I think )
Old 06-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

the shark should be in at least 55 gallons.the knifefish needs bigger.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:52 PM   #6

Gotcha... in that case, it is prolly too small for the shark, kinfefish too, I believe, but I am not as familiar with their swimming behaviour, etc.

I think 55g+ is what you should have for Redtail or Rainbow sharks, as they want a lot of space to roam, and claim as their own.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunks-McGoo View Post
Gotcha... in that case, it is prolly too small for the shark, kinfefish too, I believe, but I am not as familiar with their swimming behaviour, etc.

I think 55g+ is what you should have for Redtail or Rainbow sharks, as they want a lot of space to roam, and claim as their own.
your right,the knifefish needs a much bigger setup.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #8

K, I thought so, thanks.

Are the two even compatible? the Shark and Kinfe, I mean. They are both bottom dwellers who like to hide, with the Knife being passive and the shark being territorial... I dunno, sounds like you are begging for problems.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alLexX
your right,the knifefish needs a much bigger setup.
Thanks for that - I will get to work on upgrade as soon as possible
Old 06-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

in a large enough tank,they are compatible.

Tags
aggression

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com