Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2016, 11:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Aggressive Black Molly

Hey guys, so recently I upgraded from a 5 gallon tank to a 10 gallon tank. In the 5 gallon tank, I had one female white molly and one male orange molly. And I'm absolutely certain of the sexes. The female molly had started to become aggressive towards the male whenever it was feeding time so he never got any food! I ended up putting her in a breeding net in the tank so he could get a chance for food. I let her in there for a few hours so she could chill and stop harassing my male. When I let her out, she never chased him again and it seems like they were the best of friends and swimming together. I read that it'd be good for a 2 female to 1 male ratio so I decided to get a bigger tank and also a new black female molly. When I got the 10 gallon, I added a new female black molly.. at first she looked on her own and didn't really care to swim with the other mollies. But 2 days later she is continuously chasing the other female around and stressing the white one out. She also chases the male as well. I don't know if she's trying to become the new alpha or what because before the white one was. Also, I have 3 tetras in the 10 gallon too who seem to be doing great. I don't know what I should do to prevent her chasing around my other mollies. Please help! Any responses would be great.

Edit: also, the male is smaller than the two female. The white molly used to be the same size but she's grown larger than him. The black and white appear to be the same sizd. And one more thing, I have plenty of plants and hiding spots if the white one wanted to hide.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 08-03-2016, 11:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

For Mollies I typically recommend 30g or larger. Females can hit 4" and Mollies are very active swimmers. Plus you need room for babies. In small tanks Mollies often become aggressive or harass each other or other fish. Plus the females need room to get away from the male's constant breeding demands.

I know some people on here keep Mollies in 10g. But I don't recommend it. I'd say one sex only so less breeding/harassment in a 10g.

I'd rethink the Mollies if you can't have at least a 29-55g. But that's JMHO

I find Platies to be more peaceful.
I consider Mollies Semi-Aggressive esp around food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/pro...89&pcatid=2089

Adult size will vary according to exact species.
2-4" as Adults.

Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #4

That's funny because at the fish place the mollies were in the peaceful community section but the platies were in the semi aggressive section. Anyways, I am going to college pretty soon and am only allowed to take a 10 gallon, and I do not want to get rid of my fish.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/pro...89&pcatid=2089

Adult size will vary according to exact species.
2-4" as Adults.

Also, the male has never had any excessive breeding habits so that's never been an issue. He has bred with her but she does not display any signs of annoyance or anything

Tags
aggressive, black, black molly, molly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com