Aggressive Chinese Algae Eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kz750rider

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 2 common goldfish in a ten gallon tank with a Chinese Algae Eater. They've been together in this tank for about eight months ... no problems. But as of this past week the algae eater has been attacking the goldies. Actually sucking onto them at times. The fish are fed well ... goldfish flakes, frozen brine shrimp once in a while and algae tablets for the algae eater ... So whats up ? Should I just remove the algae eater ?

SAEs are thought to become aggressive with maturity. They also stop eating algae. If you can find a home for it, I would.

I would re-home the SAE and possibly even the goldies. They will get far too big for a 10g tank. Just my $0.02.

The goldies are just fine ... in the ten gallon tank. I really think tank requirements for these fish are, or should be based more on maintenance than tank size. I do regular water changes and monitor ammonia levels weekly. I've seen tanks with 5,6, or more goldfish in 'em ... and they seem to be doing well.

BUT ... the algae eater is going back to the pet shop today ... I think I'll replace him with a snail. Never really liked these little guys much anyways. Not exactly a pretty fish. But my daughter wanted him so we gave it a try ... it worked out for a while.

The goldies are just fine ... in the ten gallon tank. I really think tank requirements for these fish are, or should be based more on maintenance than tank size. I do regular water changes and monitor ammonia levels weekly. I've seen tanks with 5,6, or more goldfish in 'em ... and they seem to be doing well.

BUT ... the algae eater is going back to the pet shop today ... I think I'll replace him with a snail. Never really liked these little guys much anyways. Not exactly a pretty fish. But my daughter wanted him so we gave it a try ... it worked out for a while.

Well, he isn't lying to you... They're doing fine while they're living. I'm sure every cancer patient in a hospital was doing fine until they started to feel ill, too.

All goldfish get over 1ft long. No amount of maintenance is going to be OK for the long term care of a single goldfish in a 10 gallon tank. Hate to break that to you, but it's the truth. They can become stunted and of course this will shorten their lifespan significantly, but hey, it might still fit in the 10 gallon until it dies. So I guess that's fine, right? No, not really... As he said, eventually that tank will be too small.

The goldfish may eat the snail.

And no, I wasn't going to mention it, but the response needed a response... Good luck.

Oh, I know that the goldfish will eventually become too big for the ten gallon tank .... right now they aren't. Right now they are about an inch and a half long .... once they hit about three inches .... well, I have a friend with a goldfish pond that wants them once they "outgrow" the confines of the ten gallon. I figure I can keep 'em about another year ... might even give 'em up late this summer.

Just don't want the algae eater killing them in the meantime.

Ok, sounds good. That's all the poster was trying to say. People just care more about the fish than the fishkeeper (which is how it should be), that's all.

Good luck.

I've been doing this for a long time ... on and off throughout my life. And I really do take great pains to keep my fish alive and well ... even if it is only a lowly fair goldfish ... I hate when one dies. I really do try to be a good fishkeeper.

That is good to hear! :) We get so many people on here with fair fish in 1g bowls and wonder why they can't see the fish because their water is so cloudy.

As far as the SAE's though.. Tim nailed it, again. It seems they do well when the are juveniles but when they become adults they go after other fish's slime coats and lose interest in algae wafers and such. Best bet would be to find him a good home or return him to the LFS.

CAE's.

SAEs are a completely different species, completely different genus even. True SAEs are peaceful in the vast majority of circumstances IME.

I read the same, CAE stop eating algae when becomes full size, but SAE doesn't,

I have one SAE, and even when still is not a full adult, is always taking care of his own business in my tank, just eating from the gravel, glass, plants or driftwood. He never bothers any other fish.

Yes, SAEs are actually very good algae eaters throughout their life. It is the CAEs who stop eating algae when they mature. Not only do they then become more aggressive but they will actually latch on to other fish and start sucking their slime coat off. This leaves the fish vulnerable to disease.

Yes, SAEs are actually very good algae eaters throughout their life. It is the CAEs who stop eating algae when they mature. Not only do they then become more aggressive but they will actually latch on to other fish and start sucking their slime coat off. This leaves the fish vulnerable to disease.

Flying fox get quite aggressive too!

Flying fox get quite aggressive too!

Flying fox are actually also a diferent fish entirely from the SAEs and CAEs. I have not had experience with them and therefore cannot comment on their aggressiveness. I've never had any trouble with SAEs being aggressive, although there area always exceptions.

Flying fox are actually also a diferent fish entirely from the SAEs and CAEs. I have not had experience with them and therefore cannot comment on their aggressiveness. I've never had any trouble with SAEs being aggressive, although there area always exceptions.

Yes, I'm quite aware that they are all different species. Just thought it was worth a mention. I've kept all of those species. SAEs can even be nippy sometimes toward more peaceful fish. Most of the time, they are not. I order SAEs in 50 at a time, and just like many other species you just get an aggressive individual every now and then.

severum mama said:
Yes, I'm quite aware that they are all different species. Just thought it was worth a mention. I've kept all of those species. SAEs can even be nippy sometimes toward more peaceful fish. Most of the time, they are not. I order SAEs in 50 at a time, and just like many other species you just get an aggressive individual every now and then.

Apologies, I miss understood your meaning.

No apologies necessary. Since we started talking about different species I just threw it out there. :)

Back
Top Bottom