Aggressive Cichlid Tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im researching cichlids. Im in the wanting to do a huge cichlid tank. 72*36*24Inches its 269 gallons. How many cichlids would I need and how many could I put in the tank comfortably. If I wanted to do cichlids and discus would that be possible. How about bottom dewellers. I would like to put some pictus catfish, and a few other bottom dewellers in the tank. Information would be greatly appreciated. Will provide hiding places, live plants, and sand substrate.

Hmm...that is a fairly broad question without any real answer.

There are 1000's of species of cichlids and many different types sizes and behaviors. Discus, for example, are cichlids.

Can you provide an example of what types of cichlids you are interested in?

Well, I know that their are many different kinds of cichlids and I was really wanting bright and colorful ones. I'm kind of on here trying to get ideas really. I really fell in love with the fish after I obtained an injured Jack Dempsy. His tank mate ate his tail off. One of my friends told me if I thought I could help him I could have him. I took him home and his tail is starting to grow back and he's in a community tank. I started doing research and I seen that the cichlids are a very bright and colorfull fish. I wanted to know anyone who has experience in keeping high numbers of them. I figured I should be able to keep alot of the those in a 170 gallon tank. I know they have the lake Mawauia I think its called and the Victoria. Can they be mixed in the same tank, what are some do's and don'ts with these fish. Thats really what Im looking for. Tolerances, how many. I heard they needed to be almost "overstocked". Im doing or plan on doing a really fine sand bottom. I know I would like to have some nice active bottom dewelling fish as well. What would be compatible. Is their anything really not compatiable with them as far as bottom dewellers. Will they leave them alone for the most part? Thats the kind of stuff Im looking for. I just thought asking a broad question would get me lots more information. I know they have some expensive fish out there I really don't one fish having a 60-100 plus dollar meal. You understand what I'm saying.

I just am not sure you realize how much information you are asking for. Books on cichlids are 100's of pages and they typically only focus on one type. For example, there are individual books dedicated to each of the rift lakes in Africa and that is only a portion of the overall cichlids.

To answer your question. Some can be mixed, some can't. Malawian cichlids and discus can never be mixed. Even just within Malawian cichlids some can and can't be mixed.

Most of the very brightly colored cichlids are from Lake Malawi in Africa. You could indeed fill up a 6x3' tank with malawian cichlids. These types of cichlids are usually overstocked to reduce aggression. I personally think that would be a total waste of a big tank. For the most part Malawian cichlids are brightly colored but extremely boring. They mindlessly chase without end.

I would really recommend doing a lot more research before you make a decision because cichlid compatibility is extremely complicated. You may find that once your tank is partially stocked you can no longer have the fish you really end up wanting.

I agree with dalto big time.. you need to pound google until your brain hurts. The term "cichlid" is so broad in and of itself, so many different shapes, colors and sizes. With a tank that large a couple big boys or wet pets would be my choice..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not a cichlid owner but just from researching fish over the last year, if Ive ever got a tank your size I might get some Midas cichlids

I just am not sure you realize how much information you are asking for. Books on cichlids are 100's of pages and they typically only focus on one type. For example, there are individual books dedicated to each of the rift lakes in Africa and that is only a portion of the overall cichlids.

To answer your question. Some can be mixed, some can't. Malawian cichlids and discus can never be mixed. Even just within Malawian cichlids some can and can't be mixed.

Most of the very brightly colored cichlids are from Lake Malawi in Africa. You could indeed fill up a 6x3' tank with malawian cichlids. These types of cichlids are usually overstocked to reduce aggression. I personally think that would be a total waste of a big tank. For the most part Malawian cichlids are brightly colored but extremely boring. They mindlessly chase without end.

I would really recommend doing a lot more research before you make a decision because cichlid compatibility is extremely complicated. You may find that once your tank is partially stocked you can no longer have the fish you really end up wanting.
Well thank you, I guess I do got alot of research to do. I didn't know really the bahavior differences. What would you stock a tank that big with. I do however want to keep it fresh water for easy of keeping. I mean I know freshwater fish do have maintance however I do not think I have the time to dedicate to a saltwater tank yet.

I agree with dalto big time.. you need to pound google until your brain hurts. The term "cichlid" is so broad in and of itself, so many different shapes, colors and sizes. With a tank that large a couple big boys or wet pets would be my choice..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you don't mind to elaborate on what kind of large big boys and wet pets? It has crossed my mind before. I just don't know the direction. Its going to be a big investment so I mean thats why i'm doing research and getting opinions right now. Months ahead of build time. I do know the tank is happening I just don't know what to put in it.

Well thank you, I guess I do got alot of research to do. I didn't know really the bahavior differences. What would you stock a tank that big with.
Some ideas:
A couple of big colonies of Tropheus with Tanganyikan gobies on the bottom.
A peaceful South American cichlid community tank. Tons of options here, if it interests you I can share some.
A moderately aggressive central american tank.

Some ideas:
A couple of big colonies of Tropheus with Tanganyikan gobies on the bottom.
A peaceful South American cichlid community tank. Tons of options here, if it interests you I can share some.
A moderately aggressive central american tank.

I would definately like to hear more thoughts and ideas from you. I just looked at some pics of what you suggested and they are awsome looking fish. I like this site because a person looking for ideas gets ideas not people talking about how expensive and what not. Please though do share more ideas.

Back
Top Bottom