Aggressive Clown Loaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vao71

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys, recently my 125 gallon tank had cycled so yesterday I added 2 pretty big angelfish and 2 small discus I've noticed my 3 6" clown loaches constantly chasing the new stock, especially the angels with their mouths wide open like they want to eat the angels tendrils (I think thats what they're called). I thought clown loaches were supposed to be peaceful community fish, whats going on?

My loach does this from time to time to my angels, but they never do any damage at all, just like they're sniffing, exploring or having a little fun. Unless you see actual damage or see your angels really stressing out, I wouldn't worry about it and chalk it up to clown loaches playful personalities

Weird. I would try re arranging the decor and hiding spots to reduce any territorial issues.

I have 4,I had 3 originally and one vanished into thin tank(still havnt figured out how one just loses a 3" clown loach with a covered tank) and I bought two more.One is noticably smaller than the other three and schools more with my emerald cories than the other loaches. I have never once seen any act of aggression from my loaches and I have a rather heavily stocked 55 gallon with everything from tetras to gouarmis to a couple of fiddler crabs.

I have 3 pretty good sized Yo-yo loaches with 12 angels and sometimes I will see the loaches come up from under an angel and use it's barbels to almost tickle up the side of an angel. It's almost like it's teasing the angel because the angels don't like it. After a couple up/down/ and all around tickling the yo-yo loses interest and finds something else to do. My guess is the clowns are curious about their new tank mates and as mentioned above if they aren't hurting the angels or driving them totally nuts I'd just let them work this out. Trust me if an angel gets enough it will go after the loach, won't catch it but will get it's point across.

After actually biting a piece of the tendril on one of the Angels off the loaches seemed to lose interest which I guess is good? Lol weird stuff going on in this tank

After actually biting a piece of the tendril on one of the Angels off the loaches seemed to lose interest which I guess is good? Lol weird stuff going on in this tank

Actually the loach might have thought the feelers were worms. I had a Ram that sucked one angels feeler in and started to chew it like a worm which lasted about a second as the angel went after the ram and ran it across the tank. The ram never tried eating an angels feeler again.

Clown loaches are not good tankmates for discus. They are nocturnal and will stress the discus at night.

Welp they're not bothering the Angels anymore but now they're pestering my new stingray, I'm about to just get rid of these guys, does anyone have any suggestions to stop this? They're well fed and I changed some decor around but they're still starting their s#!t. They're not like chasing her (the stingray) across the tank but they'll occasionally swim by her and take a nibble

Lmao it might come down to that. The strange thing is that they've shared a 55 with a different stingray for months until it died (thanks hurricane sandy) and never once bothered it

Loaches are little devils but usually in a annoying way not mean. Mine do all sorts of things to pester fish, like diving through the school of 25 Rummynose or trying to school in the middle of them. Poking and tickling on other fish. Always on the move poking at or in everything. You also said they were new so this all could be them getting aquainted with their new tankmates. With loaches rearranging doesn't work, they are just too darn nosey and could care less what is where.

The loaches are old the fish they're bothering are new but hopefully this is the case as I wouldn't want any physical damage in the stingray

Yea,our little conversation here inspired me to run by petco last night and bump my Clown count from 4 to 6. They arent supposed to ,but they matched there internet sale price of 4.79 each.

Watched them for a little while last night and before I had one runt that wanted nothing to do with his brethren and would rather school with my cories,well after the new addition I watched all 6 schooling together for at least a couple hours last night.

Man,I can wait till we buy a house later next year and I can get these guys their own tank.Got a good lead on a 220 with stand,but Im going to have to rent a truck to move the thing LOL.

Man,I can wait till we buy a house later next year and I can get these guys their own tank.Got a good lead on a 220 with stand,but Im going to have to rent a truck to move the thing LOL.

Oh your going to need more than a truck! It took 6 men to get my 220 off the truck up 4 steps and lifted onto the stand. Those puppies weigh a friggin ton! It is also in our sunroom that has a 20" thich concrete slab.

Back
Top Bottom