Aggressive Gold Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mosdurf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Gold Gourami and a Dwarf Gourami (both makes) along with other fish in a freshwater community 50g tall tank. The Gold is extremely aggressive towards the Dwarf - chasing him every time he comes out. The Dwarf spends most of his time hiding and isn't coming out much - even at feeding time.

I have read that getting a few females may help with aggression and that rearranging the decor might also help temporarily. Obviously moving to another tank is also a option, but that for me is a last resort.

I got the tank and all of the stock at once and really don't want to take any of the fish back to a store, but don't want my Dwarf to die from stress or starvation.

Does anyone have any experience/advice?

Also - if I were to move one to another tank - would it be better to move the Gold or the Dwarf?

And if I moved the Gold, would the Dwarf do on with other Dwarves?

This can happen. Even with rearranging the decor it will probably continue. The dwarf will eventually die. You really have no choice but to get rid of one of them. Gourami can be jerks sometimes.

I would remove the gold, unless you don't mind having a dominate fish. But it could lead to problems with other fish too. Unless you found another fish that dominates the gold gourami, then maybe it would stop. But most likely not...sorry.

Thanks. I kind of figured that would be the case - but was hoping it wouldn't be the only option. The Gold does fine with the others, it is just the Dwarf that gets his wrath. I guess moving/returning is the only option.

I had a really bossy male blue gourami that would always be chasing my female gold gourami. One day my gold gourami was hiding and I noticed its whole tale had been bitten off. I saw the blue gourami go after it again and I got really mad so I thought I would just get rid of this gourami. I put the gourami in my red eared slider's tank and after a wile he had been eaten. I'm sorry to all those gourami lovers out there but the thing even knew it was being bad because when ever I walked up to the tank it stopped bothering the other gourami right away. The best gourami combination is 2 males and 4 females or just keep them by themselves.

Before I had a chance to do anything about this, I came home to the Dwarf stuck to my sponge filter. He was still alive, so I moved him to the hospital tank. He doesn't look good, but is moving. He is staying very close to the surface and breathing out small air bubbles every few seconds. His scales look like they are coming off and he has lost most if his color. He has only a little orange left and is mostly whitish now. He also has a big bulge right under his face. Attached are pictures - any idea what is wrong? Has he just been stressed to the point of no return? Please help!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389142583.611510.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389142597.358329.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389142625.695467.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389142644.296981.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389142666.932595.jpg

Is it Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus? Is that really contagious to other types of fish?

Sadly, my Dwarf ended up close to death the next day and was laying on his side in the hospital tank, barely breathing. I didn't have anything to put him down, but he was clearly suffering and the only way to end it was to flush him. I'd heard freezing was worse, so I figured that the stress of the flush would kill him pretty quickly. I'm going to get some clove oil for next time this happens.

RIP, Shy Guy. You will be missed.

It looked like he had dropsy with how his scales were looking

Back
Top Bottom