Aggressive Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miseryindex

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a sunset Molly that goes after my skirt tetra and only them. Raises it's fin and smacks them with its tail. Or just swims behind and pokes with its face in the backside.

I assume it's a territorial thing since they're they'd next biggest fish besides it in the tank. But it's a 30g tank and there is so much room. The irony is I bought the 3 tetra and the Molly together. So they've only ever been in the tank at the same time. The little neons or zebra danno never get bothered.

Hi molly can be quite feisty especially if kept alone and will try to mate or make friends with other fish in the tank,obviously not all fish appreciate this attention. So best idea is to either add more mollies,or remove the one you have? Also do you know if its a male or female? Males has a adopted anal fin called a gonopodium{Probably spelt wrong sorry} This would be why its trying to make friends with all your other fishes! Mollies also do like the water quite hard {A more alkaline P/H}and do require quite allot of veggie stuff in their diet. Hope this helps:)

Hi molly can be quite feisty especially if kept alone and will try to mate or make friends with other fish in the tank,obviously not all fish appreciate this attention. So best idea is to either add more mollies,or remove the one you have? Also do you know if its a male or female? Males has a adopted anal fin called a gonopodium{Probably spelt wrong sorry} This would be why its trying to make friends with all your other fishes! Mollies also do like the water quite hard {A more alkaline P/H}and do require quite allot of veggie stuff in their diet. Hope this helps:)
I can try different veggie food. I could also add more Molly but can't do more of the same size. Does it matter if they are smaller?

I'm not sure I ever viewed it as trying to make friends since it swims circles with its fin up around the tetra and smacks them with its tail. I just assumed it was picking on the next biggest fish in the tank. Unsure on gender. Here is a pic.

IMAG0128.jpg

Back
Top Bottom