Aggressive molly, anyone else with this problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regen311

Aquarium Advice Freak
From what I've read, Mollys are supposed to be peaceful fish. That wasn't the case with the fish I got. I originally had 1 male molly (who was actually quite large) and 1 female molly. I added what I thought were 2 more female mollys, because I've read a good ratio is 3 females to 1 male. This is a 10 gallon tank by the way. It turns out, the woman at the pet store (who I had specifically asked, "do you know the difference between male and female mollys?) had no clue because she gave me one male and one female, leaving me with 2 males and 2 females. The male I added was 1/2 to 3/4 of the size of the original male. After doing some more research, I learned how to tell the difference and identified that I definately had 2 males and 2 females. The original male terrorized the new male. He wouldu search the tank for him and when he found him, dart at him and chase him around the tank. After a few days, the new male found a hiding place under a decorative rock and would not come out, even to eat. I took the original male out and gave it to a friend whoh has a tank set up already. The new male took a few days to come out of hiding, but is now eating and lively and happy. I understand that the issue was definately having the 2 males together, but I had never heard that mollys are aggressive at all. Why are they listed as community fish if they are so aggressive towards each other like that? Or, was my fish a rare exception? Anyone have similar experiences?

When you have two males and only two females, territorial aggression will come out. With that tiny tank, there was room for only one male.

Back
Top Bottom