Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2004, 01:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Aggressive Rainbow shark

I've recently set up a 33 (us)gallon tank with a young rainbow shark and a betta with some other fish the problem is that now the rainbow shark is bigger he's become really aggressive towards the betta and has torn his fins, now the betta is always hidding in the plants and i'm worried he might die. The lfs wont take either fish back. My mum has recently cycled a 5 gallon tank as she was going to start a cold water tank, would this be suitable for my betta at room temprature (23c/73f)? as it has no heater but it does has under gravel filtration.

Old 07-08-2004, 03:34 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Bettas do need heat, so I would not put it in a 73 degree tank if you can help it. I was worried about this rainbow! I am sorry this has happened - what a pain. Can you find a 25watt heater for the 5gal?
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:51 PM   #3

Thanks, luckily we've found out a friend of a friend keeps fish and he's agreed to adopt the rainbow shark.But now i know not to mix bettas and rainbow sharks. Will the betta be ok in the tank now that the rainbow shark is gone or will he need some sort of treatment for his fins?
Old 07-08-2004, 04:44 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I would definitley get some stress coat and add to the tank. You might need to medicate the torn fins, all depending on how badly the rainbow shark beat them up. The betta will be fine in the tank now, those nasty rainbow sharks can get mean!

Glad you got rid of it though, and Mr. Betta is happy

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 04:48 PM   #5

His fins are torn into strips with the very edges missing. As soon as the rainbow shark was gone he came out of hiding and was swimming all around the tank. All the other fish seem a little happier too
Old 07-08-2004, 05:24 PM   #6
zao
Aquarium Advice Activist

I read that rainbow shark are very aggressive, if you want any you need to get 5 or more to cut the aggressive down some.

zao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:18 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Quote:
His fins are torn into strips with the very edges missing. As soon as the rainbow shark was gone he came out of hiding and was swimming all around the tank. All the other fish seem a little happier too
I would see how it does over the next few days. Try adding a little stress coat to the tank and see what happens. If the stress coat doesn't do the trick, then I would medicate.

Just a warning though: Don't use melafix on the betta.

Good luck.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 12:02 AM   #8

beta fix works great for Bettas I have had a couple sick ones over the years and treated them for 7 days with Betta fix and they were all fine. I even had my 4 year old knock over her Betta tank and we couldn't find the little fish for about 10 minutes, he is still around thanks to Bettafix. As for Rainbows they are very aggressive and so are red tailed sharks unforunately my red tailed shark beat the crap out of a gold fish till I removed the goldfish, now he gets along with the rest
Old 07-09-2004, 04:28 AM   #9

Today he's sitting at the bottom of the tank. Can you get betta fix in the uk? Hes eating fine and swims around a little but mainly at the bottom of the tank. And is Betta fix ok to use with other fish? I've got a loach, some neon tetras, lightglow tetras, penguin tetras an angel fish and 3 glass catfish oh and 2 mollies. Also i've noticed some snails they must of been in their live food. Should i take them out?
Old 07-09-2004, 09:06 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Sharks don't really mix that well with any fish, really! They can be nasty little guys!

If the UK doesn't receive betta fix, ask in the store for the English equivalent. Make it patently clear, though, that you're *not* looking for the English equivalent of Melafix which, I recently found out, it too strong for Bettas.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:19 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ferret Send a message via AIM to ferret
Quote:
Originally Posted by zao
I read that rainbow shark are very aggressive, if you want any you need to get 5 or more to cut the aggressive down some.
Have to completely disagree.. Rainbow sharks are generally pretty tame, mostly bottom dwelling scavengers. They're mostly aggressive towards each other, and shouldn't be kept together unless you've got roughly 50-60 gallons per rainbow shark.

I had two in a 75 gallon over a year ago, and they still fought.

Tags
aggressive, rainbow shark, shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com