aggressive tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toke_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have a 10 gallon aggressive tank with a sleeper goby, blood parrot,and a tiger Oscar (all not too big) and the sleeper goby is getting picked on really bad by both other fish. what should I do?

I'm no expert on chiclids but I think you might need a bigger tank

theres too much fish that needs space in a small tank. and they are not compatible.

I think the Oscar needs a 125g alone. Then the blood parrot or the sleeper goby I'm not sure about.

i have a 35gallon tall tank i think i might move them to, but the oscar and the blood parot are teaming up on the sleeper goby and the sleeper was $20 :\ id hate to see him die. I had the sleeper in the 10 gallon by itself but he seemed lonely and wouldnt eat so i put the other fish with him.

I would rehome them if possible. The blood parrot and the oscar . Oscar can't really be in a tank with other fish and they get huge. Like I said a 125g would be able to house one.

Your tank is too small and I don't think the goby is a good fit at all. Though yes, 125 gallons may seems like over kill to you you fish is going to need a bigger tank than what you are giving.

I think maybe 125 gallons may be a bit big for a single oscar.. I think it's the recommendation for a mating pair but I would say you need at least 75 or so if you plan to keep this oscar and blood parrot together. I don't know a lot about these fish so maybe even more.

I think the goby would be better off on it's own TBH. It's mostly a peaceful fish. It may fair ok if you give the other 2 the space they need but it may not. I do believe they are picking on it because of the lack of space.

In the end I think you have some research you need to do and decide if you are prepared to give these fish what they really need. Maybe check out the cichlid forum here, you may get some good advice there from experienced owners

toke_ said:
my oscar is 2inches long tops. I think 125g is overkill

Trust me... It's not. They grow 35cm +. Where I am many aquarists who keep oscars put them in a 125.

ok i just put the oscar and the parrot in my 35/40g (not sure exact size) and i moved my crayfish into the 10g with the sleeper since my oscar would eat him. lets see how it works

that may be a temp fix but you are going to need to be prepared to get a bigger tank when the time comes.

toke_ said:
ok i just put the oscar and the parrot in my 35/40g (not sure exact size) and i moved my crayfish into the 10g with the sleeper since my oscar would eat him. lets see how it works

The crawdad will make quick work of the goby.

toke_ said:
u think it will kill the goby? i have one plant in the tank and the goby like to sit on the leaves so hes above the ground.

If the crawdad can catch him, he will have an expensive supper. How big are each?

If the crawdad can catch him, he will have an expensive supper. How big are each?

the goby is about 3 inches long and the crayfish is like 1.5inches, shes a girl because she had babies and my friend gave her to be so she wouldnt eat the babies

Oscars grow very fast and produce massive amounts of waste. I used to have two and I sold them because I was young when I got them and didn't realize they would outgrow my tank at the time. You do need a bigger than a 40g tank for just the oscar and you need a good filtration system and be prepared to do massive water changes,especially while they are in the smaller tank.
Oscars are great pets so I can see the attraction but they are not easy to properly house.

Oscars grow very fast and produce massive amounts of waste. I used to have two and I sold them because I was young when I got them and didn't realize they would outgrow my tank at the time. You do need a bigger than a 40g tank for just the oscar and you need a good filtration system and be prepared to do massive water changes,especially while they are in the smaller tank.
Oscars are great pets so I can see the attraction but they are not easy to properly house.

my oscar actually doesnt produce that much waste my tank is always clear and perfect when i test it. Im buying a 55g this week that im going to put him in. Unfortunately i cant get anything bigger than a 55g so itll have to do

toke_ said:
my oscar actually doesnt produce that much waste my tank is always clear and perfect when i test it. Im buying a 55g this week that im going to put him in. Unfortunately i cant get anything bigger than a 55g so itll have to do

So is he going to live in the 55g permanently ? I think 75 is minimum.

One of the reasons a 75g is recommended over a 55g for an oscar is the 75g is wider. This allows the fish more room to turn around. Very important for a fish expected to reach well over a foot long. If you have room for a 55g then you have enough room for a 75g. They are the same length.

I would buy a 75g if i found a deal but i havent. Im buying the 55g with hood and lights for $50 so thats a deal. And my oscar is so small he wont be too big to turn around in a 55g anytime soon

Back
Top Bottom