agressive molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dieanna

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got home from work and saw that my female molly is terrorizing my 55 gal. She keeps chasing my blue gouramis, biting and pushing them. I haven't been home long and haven't seen if she's been going after any of the other fish. Any ideas of what's wrong or how I can fix it? The tank is almost completely cycled. ammonia is 0, nitrite is less than .25, and nitrate is about 10. I was just about to do a pwc when I saw this.

My female mollies bullied my black skirts when I first got the tetras, if you have another tank take it out and put it in there for a few minutes...give it a "time out" if you will... if that dpesn't work, try separating them for a couple days, then put the molly back in

If you have access to a tank divider that might also be an option. Do the pwc. Do you have any other mollies in the tank?

I have 1 male black molly. I think I'm going to run to the petstore really fast before they close and buy a breeder net to put her in for a day.

That works too lol. I find that the females are very bossy more than the males, my male mollies had no problems with my tetras, it was just the girls o.o

Puriti said:
That works too lol. I find that the females are very bossy more than the males, my male mollies had no problems with my tetras, it was just the girls o.o

ROFL, just like my house! (I do mean myself hehehe)

Do female mollies get territorial when they're trying to breed? I haven't put her in the net yet, but it seems like she's kicking the fish out of the bunch of lillies I have in the tank. She seems to be staying in there for the most part. The male I have is also with her, but she's not chasing him.

Okay. Problem solved... I think. I had a divider for my 10 gal. I put them in the 10 gal with the betta. The mollies have a little more than half the tank. I have a question though... I have the filter and 1 airstone on the mollies side. Is this too much water current for the mollies? If so, what can I do? The airpump is a profile 1000 and the filter a whisper made for 5 - 15 gal tanks. Thanks.

hey dieanna, where do you get your fish stuff and fish. A mom and pop shop or a chain store? and whats the name of it, i'm still looking around the city and outskirts for places to get some good fish or equipment

My mollies have no one to bully but each other. My betta is somehwat of a bruiser and the zebras are too fast. I've never known them to be agressive though... weird

mr86mister said:
hey dieanna, where do you get your fish stuff and fish. A mom and pop shop or a chain store? and whats the name of it, i'm still looking around the city and outskirts for places to get some good fish or equipment
I'll check out Walmart first to see what prices they have on equipment. Then I'll go to the Blvd and hit up Petco, Petsmart, and Pet Supplies Plus. There's also a store in Shoppingtown Mall, I think it's called Petworld (below the food court). I usually shop around those store until I find the best price. As for fish, I usually do the same until I find a nice looking, healthy one. And for food, I just buy at Walmart. I've never really checked out Syracuse Aquarium or Fairmount Aquarium. I've been to Empire Aquatics in Canastota, this was a while ago, though. I don't remember how their prices were, but they had a huge assortment of fish plus an indoor pond of huge koi fish you could hand feed (for the kiddies, of course, hehe).

My molly female become extremely aggressive aswell, and was terrorizing everyone, even the cories in my ten gallon, they didn't really have anywhere to hide so I kept her in the breeders net, until she released her fry, however she was still very agressive, So I ended up giving her back to petsmart.
I felt bad about such but the rest of my inhabitants couldnt take her bothering every day.

Also, if you have more than one female and one is almost ready to give birth, the others will chase it around.

I think I may have found the answer to why my female was acting funny all of a sudden. I found the tiniest little marble molly fry in my 55 gal today!! Too cute! Could that have been the reason she was acting funny? I pulled the baby out of the tank and put it in a breeding net. What a surprise! I searched the tank to see if there were anymore and I didn't see any, but now I'm afraid to use the gravel vac, lol. The baby is almost 1/2" long. Can anyone tell me about how old it could be?

I spent hours on end staring at that tank. I can't believe I haven't seen it in there before. It makes me sad to think that if there were any siblings they were probably eaten or worse, vacuumed :(

Well if you look hard at your vacuumed water, baby mollies are quite visible. Just check if your are worried. They were probably eaten though...

I have a male who is a bully. I finally moved all of my other fish he bullied to my daughter's tank. He is living with only ground feeders. Once in awhile, my YoYo loach chases after him and I just sit there and laugh and say that he deserves that.

Back
Top Bottom