AHH! Too many fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kinili

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I cycled my tank for three weeks with nine zebra danios... :S I know not a good idea but didn't know at the time. For four day my tests were 0ammo and 0 nitrites 5mg/l nitrates. I added eight seprae tetras on wednesday and I now have 0.6 mg/l ammo, 0.1mg/l nitrites and 5mg/l nitrates. I'm doing PWC everyday with prime. Did I add too many fish? Was my cycle not done? Do I have to start all over with my cycle? How long will it take? I want to add some cockatoo cichlids in the future but now I'm worried that I will run into the same problem. I want to add a bristlenose pleco when I have some algea. PLEASE HELP!

The tank should recover quickly. You probably did add too many fish at once. I would do water changes until this mini cycle is over. I would wait at least a month maybe more before adding anything else.

Eight may have been a touch to many for your bacteria population to keep up with. Luckily it should stabilize quickly. Just keep up with the partial water changes and you should be fine.

Thanks every one for you input everything seems to be balancing out quickly. Do you really think I should wait a month before adding more fish if my ammo and nitrites are at zero?

Thanks every one for you input everything seems to be balancing out quickly. Do you really think I should wait a month before adding more fish if my ammo and nitrites are at zero?

I'm guessing you added the tetras right into your tank W/out QT'ing so it's a good idea to wait a few weeks at minimum to add new fish .. mainly because you want to see if any diseases develop ...Hopefully not .. but take the next couple of weeks to observe and allow the BB to build up.

I'm sorry about your mini cycle :( but can't wait to see pics of your cockatoos :) they are AWESOME!!

Back
Top Bottom