Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2005, 10:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ahhhhh! My tank sprang a leak!!

Wouldn't you know, just as I was thinking today how fond of my little rummy-nosed tetras I had gotten - my silly 10 gal sprang a bad leak! (from the bottom seal of all places)
Just got back from a new tank purchase, along with a bunch of gallons of RO water...
Not what I had planned for this evening!
Just has to vent.
Wish my rummies luck...!! I've had great luck with mine so far, heard they can be fragile in a crisis though -- the B/W tetras and yellow gouramis look not so bad so far ...

Old 08-18-2005, 11:00 PM   #2
zacdl

Well.... 10 gallons are pretty cheap, but it also is not hard to re-seal a tank either, so you could have two tanks now!
Old 08-18-2005, 11:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Good luck, I hope everyone makes it.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:06 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I was just reading on another forum about the very same thing happening to a guy but it was in his 150gal - the bottom glass cracked and leaked all of the water out within minutes. He had to find homes for fish and fry in a very short time. He wound up removing the bottom glass and replacing it, so I think that is a great idea for you, and a whole lot easier.

Did you determine any particular cause for this dreaded event?
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:14 AM   #5

150 gal?? Could you imagine that nightmare??
I thought I was going to have to try to find homes for mine, but decided to just get a new tank on the spot. I was just worried about shocking them with mostly brand-new water.
Anyway, 0% mortality as of this morning!! All are swimming and ate breakfast - business as usual.
Their colors are pale, well nonexistent, but they should bounce back, right?
Another crisis narrowly averted...
Thanks for letting me vent!
Old 08-19-2005, 09:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

wow, glad you were able to save the fish! Leaks are my biggest worry at the moment, but mainly because I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment complex. Soooooo, as far as what to do about making sure everyone pulls through the crisis, I would just do some extra water changes and perhaps throw in a couple of fast growing plants to help with toxins in the tank.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:44 AM   #7

I live in a 3rd flr apt, too! (The carpet is completely soaked but since my fishfriends seem to be okay - no biggie)

As for the particular cause, it looked like some on the sealant around the bottom just totally gave out - causing a small waterfall that the cats found mighty interesting. Once the tank was half empty, the leak trickled off. Guess the pressure from the water had something to do with it.

I'll get some plants tomorrow, good idea. Had planned to pick up a few more rummy-noses this weekend, but maybe I'll wait...

Thanks all!!
Old 08-19-2005, 12:27 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Definitely wait on new fish for several weeks to be sure things are stable, and good call on the plant recommendation, rubysoho

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com