Air in Fluval canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joltibo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Every time I do a water change, air gets trapped in the canister and gets loud for a day, is there a way to prevent that?

I do turn off the aqua stop valve and unplug the filter when doing pwc

Thanks

Just turn the filter on and off a few times, even shake the filter a little when it's making that noise, that works for me.

When my eheim filter get airlocked, I unplug/replug it, or sometime just shake it well will help release prisoned bubbles...

Make sure you prime the filter before running, to prevent burning the impeller. Usually they prime themselves after the first use when you replug it... Depends on how you did the hoses...

For sure turn it off BEFORE you start removing water, and close the "fluval valve" on it too.

Is your canister on the floor? What's your fluval canister model?

I suspect there's same amount water in the return line than the intake line while the canister is empty.... Maybe fill it with water before you plug it back.

As temporary fix, I'll say unplug the hoses and empty the water in it, then plug everything back (except power cable), suck the air from the return line, it will fill up, then plug the cable...

Does it still airlock like this ?

Fluval 306
It does it for about a day and comes back quiet, after a water change

Yes, it's placed like it should be

Fluval 306
It does it for about a day and comes back quiet, after a water change

Yes, it's placed like it should be

Probably there's a lot of gas in your tap water. Wait until bubbles in the tank go off... In my eheim canister, bubbles tend to accumulate after a waterchange due to the water ungazing in it, but eheim canister is airlock proof, as I directly inject CO2 into the intake and there's no airlocking...

Yes, I turn the valve off too

YEah sorry, I just reread the top of the page.

Probably there's a lot of gas in your tap water. Wait until bubbles in the tank go off... In my eheim canister, bubbles tend to accumulate after a waterchange due to the water ungazing in it, but eheim canister is airlock proof, as I directly inject CO2 into the intake and there's no airlocking...

If there's too much air in the canister, it go to the impeller and it release it in the return line, injecting bubbles into the tank... It's almost same design than my canister, the impeller is on the top...

Probably it's not a problem that occur only when you do water change, but occur when you unplug it for more than a certain amount of time ? Can you try unplug it when it's working for an hour and wait to see if airlock comes again?

Did it always malfunction like that ? If you have it for more than 2 years, I would suggest replace the O-ring.

What model it is ? (Number between 100 and 909)

I just bought it a month ago, yeah it's been doing that since the beginning

So air gets in when I unplug it?!

Fluval 306

I just bought it a month ago, yeah it's been doing that since the beginning

So air gets in when I unplug it?!

Fluval 306

I think this is a possibility, you have to test it for we know. This version come with a primer pump, did you tried it ?

I prime it before turning it back on?

Did you tried priming it while it's airlocked ? Maybe that can help... If not I will probably say there's an issue with your canister and you may want a RMA...

I can tell you my Eheim 2213 is doing great job and never had any problems with it... It doesn't airlock, or get rid of bubbles into a minute when that happens. I think it should be the same for Fluval, and thoses equipement are not given $$$

Per our site rules post need to be in english. It will not help our members who might have the same issues but cant read the posts. Posts in another language were deleted.

Back
Top Bottom