Air stone/bubbler question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HannahJo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently do not have an air stone/bubbler in my 72G. I have two HOB waterfall filters going-one on each side of tank. Water level is about 1-2 inches shy of top. I have 9 platys, 15 tetras and 2 BN plecos in there. I was told at one of my LFS that too much current could be stressfull/disturbing to the platys/tetras since they are still so small. Is this accurate? Do I need the air stone if I have both waterfalls going? I feel like the tank has plenty of oxygen as nobody seems to have any issues with gasping or going to the top or struggling in any way. I am mostly worried about 1.) not having enough oxygen and 2.) creating too much current and noise for the little guys
Thoughts?? :confused:

Just watch your fish, if they have trouble swimming with the current it is too much.
(A lot depends on the species, some type like high current but most of our tetras don't)

Air stone just for o2 when you have two water falls seems a bit over kill, but again over kill on o2 can't hurt. (except if you want the co2 to grow plants...)

But back on topic, air that touches water creates oxygen in the water for fish to breath.
That is why you want a little rippling effect on the surface of the water.

Just watch your fish, if they have trouble swimming with the current it is too much.
(A lot depends on the species, some type like high current but most of our tetras don't)

Air stone just for o2 when you have two water falls seems a bit over kill, but again over kill on o2 can't hurt. (except if you want the co2 to grow plants...)

But back on topic, air that touches water creates oxygen in the water for fish to breath.
That is why you want a little rippling effect on the surface of the water.

Okay- havent seen anybody have issues with swimming. The platys really don't seem to mind it. The tetras stay a little further away from the current but they still come up to eat and swim around like usual.
Def don't plan to have any plants in the near future- so should be okay there.
Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom