airator VS. powerhead.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquabeast

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im thinking about switching over from a bubble stone strip to a powerhead.. im trying to go more natural and air stones really dont do it for me, would it be better for the tank to have a powerhead instead of a air strip? its a standard 55 gallon.

If you have a HOB filter, you may not need either. Remove the airstone and see if your fish start "gasping" for oxygen. If not, your HOB filter provides enough surface agitation for sufficient gas exchange at the surface of the water.

If you do decide to go with a powerhead, you have to be careful you get one that isn't too powerful.

Like Viper said, I think I'd try simply removing the air stone. I use HOB filters on all my tanks and I don't have any oxygen issues, even when I fill the tank up so the water is touching the glass canopy.

i think ill try that for a little while.. how long should it take for them to start gasping if it isnt enough?

Three HOB filters on a 55g should provide plenty of surface agitation, even if they're small filters. You should see your fish gasping at all.

they are a tetra ex 75, tetra whisper 40 and a aqueon quiet flow 30.. even if the water is high enough to where no splashing happens out of the return, ill still have enough?

they are a tetra ex 75, tetra whisper 40 and a aqueon quiet flow 30.. even if the water is high enough to where no splashing happens out of the return, ill still have enough?

As long as the water is "rippling" you should be good.

Back
Top Bottom