Albino cardinal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Annakhil

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone seen or heard of albino cardinal tetra? Because I swear I have one! I got some cardinals a few weeks ago from pet I and they all were very pale but I was assured they would get their color and all of them have except one, its almost pink and I can see his organs. I don't mind him just wondering if its rare or not?
Here's a pic

image-2287505210.jpg

image-2654044519.jpg

It sounds like the fish is either premature or sick. Or it could just be it has a genetic problem.

All the other cardinals have great color and I can see where his red and blue stripes are they are just see through

i really need to get a better pic but he wont stay still. everyone that comes over keeps asking why he is transparent and the only thing i can say is i think he is albino but i would like someone else to confirm it to be sure:confused:

There's nothing wrong with it. It's the "golden" variety- I've seen this with neons but not yet with cardinals. I believe the fish would have a red eye if it were an albino, so this would be leucistic rather than albino. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

My bet is he was crossbreed with a hold neon tetra. They seem almost transparent and I actually have a few myself. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless he starts acting weird.

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
My bet is he was crossbreed with a hold neon tetra. They seem almost transparent and I actually have a few myself. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless he starts acting weird.

Golden neon........ Darn auto correct

Why assume it was cross bred with anything vs. just a leucistic cardinal? Occam's razor and all.

There's nothing wrong with it. It's the "golden" variety- I've seen this with neons but not yet with cardinals. I believe the fish would have a red eye if it were an albino, so this would be leucistic rather than albino. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

awesome! i think he is kinda neat, i was just wondering if anyone has ever seen this before. my son points him out all the time so i guess he is my special fish.:)

I bought a school of ten "green neon" tetras and a few turned out the same way as yours so I have 3-4 of them in my tank.

severum mama said:

You are right. True albino animals/fish have red eyes. A school of these guys would be cool.

That's weird. It looks almost like a golden neon tetra.

That's what I was going to say too! :lol:

Here is a pic of one for reference

GoldNeonTetra1.jpg

Does it look like yours? I think it does :brows:

yes! but i can see the red strip on mine from the tail to the head its just VERY faint.
so do they sell Golden cardinals?
or was he sold to me by mistake?

yes! but i can see the red strip on mine from the tail to the head its just VERY faint.
so do they sell Golden cardinals?
or was he sold to me by mistake?

Most likely it was just a mistake, it snuck in with the neons at the wholesale place :lol:

Some places do sell them online. Probably some lfs sell them too. I want to get some, they are super cute :)

Scottyhorse said:
Most likely it was just a mistake, it snuck in with the neons at the wholesale place :lol:

Some places do sell them online. Probably some lfs sell them too. I want to get some, they are super cute :)

I didn't get neons
I got cardinals, they are in separate tanks at my LFS

Back
Top Bottom