Albino Chinese Algae Eater question & fish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spyyro

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm wondering about my Albino Chinese Algae Eater. When I first bought him, (probably 2 years ago) I bought 2 of them and they were both the same size and color... the normal albino pinkish/orange color. One seemed to grow like a weed and the other one hardly at all. Probably 6 months or so after I had them, the smaller one seemed to start to show a dark spot on him near the tail and the dark spot eventually grew to overtake almost his entire body. He now has a brownish colored body on both sides. I've recently gotten rid of the other CAE I had... the much larger and normal colored one because he became a little aggressive towards some other fish in the tank. I'm wondering if this discoloration is normal or maybe has something to do with the sex of the fish? I thought he had something wrong with him at first but he seems to be fine as he has now lived here for 2 years. Any comments on why this is?

Also, I can't remember the name of this other fish I bought awhile back. I know it's some kind of Albino, obviously, but can't remember the name. Any help? I've included pics of both for you to see.

Thanks for any info and/or help!

Attachments

• mystery_fish_562.jpg
    mystery_fish_562.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 381
  • chinese_algae_eater_156.jpg
    chinese_algae_eater_156.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 489
The "normal" color of CAEs is not albino, actually. The dominant gene coloration is brown with dark brown squarish spots along the lateral line. Your fish's behavior issue has nothing to do with the coloration. As they get older and bigger (and they do get pretty big) they become more aggressive and stop eating algae.

The other fish is an albino red fin shark. They also get aggressive as they get bigger, I believe.

I have both of the fish in the pics you have posted. The CAE in the pic is a golden CAE. The albino red tailed shark will get aggressive as it gets older. My CAE is now 8" and I am lucky, he is in with larger african cichlids and isn't aggressive at all. The cichlids took care of the aggression. Most CAE's do get aggressive in that they try and suck the slime coat off other fish.

Thanks for the info. I do remember now about the albino rainbow shark name... I just forgot. Hmmm, that's strange about the CAE. So, that's his dominant normal color coming through the albino, huh? Cool! I had heard that they get more aggressive and stop eating algae as they age and that's the point I was at (with the actual pink albino one) so I got rid of him. My LFS will accept trade in's for store credit so that's what I did with him and my Bala Shark (he was getting too large for my current 29 gal setup). That was some of the trade in money that I used for store credit towards my Gold Nugget Pleco that just recently bit the dust after just one short week. :cry: The one pictured is slightly aggressive but I haven't seen him pestering other fish too much at all to be worried about... yet! Anyway, thanks for the replies!

Back
Top Bottom