albino fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinES

Aquarium Advice Regular
My LFS has been getting tons of albino fish. Most of them are types I have never seen before. Is this a new thing in the fish world or just my LFS? Are breeders doing something to get albinos like this? Some of the examples are neons, black neons, dwarf gouramis, bristle nose plecos, and more. I think the albino neons are real neat looking. I picked up 2 of them. Just wondering if this was a new thing.

Nah, albino's have been around for ages. It's a genetic mutation that causes a lack of pigmentation. Never seen an albino neon tetra though. Pics?

--Adeeb

I'm kind of partial to albinos. We had an albino krib, she was so darn cute, and I'm keeping an eye out for one albino angelfish. The albino tetras look cool under a black light though. My favorite LFS displays them in an all black tank with a black light.

I'm kind of partial to albinos. We had an albino krib, she was so darn cute, and I'm keeping an eye out for one albino angelfish. The albino tetras look cool under a black light though. My favorite LFS displays them in an all black tank with a black light.

Ive heard male kribs (albino or not) are more attracted to the albino female Because of the intesnse red the female shows during breeding time

Ive heard male kribs (albino or not) are more attracted to the albino female Because of the intesnse red the female shows during breeding time

I can't confirm or deny that the male is more attracted to one or the other. We have a regular female in with our male now and her belly is much redder than the albino's was. However, that albino did get to be a very pretty apple color where as the regular one is more like a black cherry. I think the regular is more intense, but I guess if you compare against the white skin, the albino could have seemed more intense to him.

I can say that we will probably see eggs this coming week though. We just added this new female last night and already their picking spawning sites. :)

I only like the catfish Albino and the Convict Chcilid any others just creep me out!

Ha.

I used to be freaked at albinos until I worked at a pet store. We had an albino ferret that was such a sweetie but was always picked on by the other ferrets. I would take him around the store all day, he'd nestle in the front of my shirt, between the t-shirt I'd wear underneath and the outer shirt with his head poking out where it buttoned and sleep.

I can say that we will probably see eggs this coming week though. We just added this new female last night and already their picking spawning sites.

Good luck :)

Ha.

I used to be freaked at albinos until I worked at a pet store. We had an albino ferret that was such a sweetie but was always picked on by the other ferrets. I would take him around the store all day, he'd nestle in the front of my shirt, between the t-shirt I'd wear underneath and the outer shirt with his head poking out where it buttoned and sleep.
Cute! Did you take him home?

Hey sorry the weather has been crazy around here. I will take a few pics of the tank tomorrow so you can see the albino neons with the normal neons. You will probably also see a lot of babies...I guess the parent platys and guppies don't eat their babies...

oh and as far as the look of the albinos...They look like neons that were sitting in the dark and you just turned the lights on. That's what they remind me of. A milky color with a lighter red and blue.

some pics
img_1186429_0_d59ecd7ed11fa1604b22b9bbfa78779f.jpg

img_1186429_1_b8d1db2fa14f297112db9c2e0b76f9a3.jpg

img_1186429_2_158248a926b36b3e73a4c94068cb35bf.jpg

Back
Top Bottom