Albino Pictus??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cwabby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hoping someone can help..The sign on the tank at the shop said this fish was an Albino Pictus Catfish. I'm just not positive this it what it really is.. I can't seem to find any info on the 'albino'. He seems to be doing well and eating off the bottom of the tank. I think they may have been mistaken and labelled the fish wrong, because I looked at those Channel fish online that grow huge and was like..Oh God Noooo lol. I only see the spotty/striped grey ones when researching.. Hoping he is indeed just a pictus, but any info would be appreciated. He does have the long barbs in front but you can't see in bad photo..

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 233
It's really hard to tell, the picture's pretty fuzzy.

Are you aware that pictus should be kept in groups of at least 5? They need a pretty big tank, too, to let them expend all that energy they have.

Hmmm I may need a better pic but at this moment it looks more like a Channel Catfish to me. Which get pretty big.

I'm absolutely heartbroken and p'd off at the same time. His tank clearly stated he was to be kept alone or with other fish his size (up to about 6"). It said he was an Albino Pictus cat and even the fish guy who was talking about it and all the tanks he has at home and the beloved large Pleco he has blah blah..Not once did he notice this fish was NOT a Pictus. I have been duped. So now this beautiful fish tht my husband and I are falling in love with is going to grow like crazy. Great..I have never returned a fish before..I'm sick over this and not sure what I'm going to do. I'll certainly tell off that fish dept and tell them to make sure they are putting the right info on the **** tanks.

I understand people need to research before buying, but while there, we were assuming we were getting the right info on this fish from both the labelling and talking to the guy. It's also a pretty popular and high end fish store, so I'm angry indeed. Sorry for the vent. The tank shown is my 50 gal. I have a 30 and a small 10 gal as well. never any problems.

Woah woah woah you may be ok! We just need a little better pictures! I can't say for certain one way or another yet. I'm sorry to upset you!

If he has the long barbels, he could be a different species of Pimelodus. There's tons. I can look it up for you tonight and see if there's any white ones that match the picture.

Doesn't look like a channel to me, the tail seems too large, but maybe he has to grow into it.

Also, pictus only need groups as young. A single one can be okay, and a few adults can be kept in a 55 easily.

I'll Try and get a better pic tomorrow. He keeps to himself kind of hidden until evenings, but he sometimes comes out when I stand by the glass. He's so adorable. Thanks for trying to help. I'm hoping he is just a different species. Figured if the guy knew we didn't get the pleco's we were looking at because they would get to big, he'd have stated that as well about these fish. I'm going to call tomorrow and just ask again about them. There were plenty there (another reason I'm not sure if they are Channel) Hope to get answers there too. I'll be much more calm lol..

Chiroptera said:
Doesn't look like a channel to me, the tail seems too large, but maybe he has to grow into it.

I definitely agree with you there. I've never seen a younger Channel Cat, but the color and body shape seem to fit the profile. Hopefully a picture can help us help!

Oookie dokie..incase anyone is still following this drama lol.. I spoke with a very informative guy and he assured me the fish is an Albino Pictus and that Channels are not even allowed in MA. so they wouldn't carry them anyway. :D Gandalf stays! A tidbit he gave for anyone else who is curious about the difference is that the Channel's eye are more set to the side of the head. Thanks for the imput/advice here

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 278
Cwabby said:
Oookie dokie..incase anyone is still following this drama lol.. I spoke with a very informative guy and he assured me the fish is an Albino Pictus and that Channels are not even allowed in MA. so they wouldn't carry them anyway. :D Gandalf stays! A tidbit he gave for anyone else who is curious about the difference is that the Channel's eye are more set to the side of the head. Thanks for the imput/advice here

Not to rain on the parade, but with that picture I am like 97% certain that that is an Albino Channel Catfish.

I have no idea where that guy got information on that Channel Cats aren't allowed in Mass. Hell, the Mass Department of Fish and Game has a "best bet" page about where to fish for them. With no mention of a ban...

Google search Albino Channel Catfish, I'm telling you. Gandalf is that. Sorry :(

Well..What can I say..I'm going to see how it goes with him. I'll let you know if he's getting huge lol *sigh*

From MA. Division of Fisheries and Wildlife:
Examples of species that may no longer be sold in pet stores include: reticulated python, African rock python, green tree python, anaconda, and most temperate zone fresh water fish (i.e. channel catfish, sturgeon and gar). The sale of any of these animals that are already in a pet store will be allowed until October 1, 1995.

Still wouldn't doubt some stores not following this..like Walmart :fish1:Not that I'd ever buy anything fish related there.

Cwabby said:
From MA. Division of Fisheries and Wildlife:
Examples of species that may no longer be sold in pet stores include: reticulated python, African rock python, green tree python, anaconda, and most temperate zone fresh water fish (i.e. channel catfish, sturgeon and gar). The sale of any of these animals that are already in a pet store will be allowed until October 1, 1995.

Still wouldn't doubt some stores not following this..like Walmart :fish1:Not that I'd ever buy anything fish related there.

Learn something new everyday! Well then there is hope! I'd just keep him and see what happens at this point :(

We had on of those to in our 55 gallon! We ended up taking him back to the pet store cuz he would eat all the food before the other fish could get any! He would look like he was going to explode. So I would have to not feed the others cuz he would still eat even when he was obviously full! The guy at the store did say he was just a channel cat, and that he couldn't get anymore cuz they where illegal in CA for some reason.

That's a bummer and sorry you had that experience :( My guy is kind of meek in the tank so far. My little pork chop of a Peppered Cory seems to snag his food right in front of him and he just ignores. Luckily he feeds at night mostly, so I am able to drop his pellet food by his face and he eats it. Everyone is swimming around playing chase by then. I never thought I would be coddling fish in a tank! lol

That's great! It's funny how some fish act totally different for people! So glad he's working out:)

Back
Top Bottom