Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmay33

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm wanting to grow algae for my plecostomas to eat. In a pond near by it is really easy to find rocks covered in algae. Could I put one in an aquarium to jump start my algae growth?

jmay33 said:
I'm wanting to grow algae for my plecostomas to eat. In a pond near by it is really easy to find rocks covered in algae. Could I put one in an aquarium to jump start my algae growth?

You'd be better off growing algae on rocks yourself and cycling them in and out of your tank. At least that way you can pre-select rock that won't alter your water chemistry and by growing it yourself, say in a small tank in your window, you can be sure it's free from any toxins or organisms that may be present in rivers in your locality which could potentially harm your fish.

Alright. Thank you. I'd thought about that but I wanted to hear it from somewhere else! Thank you!

+1 you'd be safer to farm your own algae. Just pick a southerly facing window. I have a 20gal long myself used in this manner. Dose some liquid ferts and with a little help from the sun you'll have a nice carpet of algae in no time.
I have 2 leopard sailfin plecos "gibbys" that winter indoors and with my algae farm, kale, romaine lettuce, shrimp pellets and algae waffers they're getting huge. They grew 2 1/2" in less than a year.

Great! Thanks! I will do that. I just want my guy to be healthy. He's getting big and and I want to make sure he has enough to eat. I added a picture. He isn't big in terms of a plecostomas, but I'm still a little proud of him! Lol.

Attachments

• image-3490312008.jpg
    image-3490312008.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom