Algae???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have began to notice I get little algae spots on my tank. I have a brush and it cleans off real easy. But was wondering if there is a way to reduce it from forming? Is it something I need to worry about? I do a 35% water change every week, and i clean the tank with the brush while I do it.

I did adjust my lights to not be on as long. Before I had them programed to be on for about 13 hours, yesterday I changed it them to be on for about 10 hours. Is this ok or too many hours??

What sort of lights are they? Is the algae a brownish color? How long has the tank been set up?

They are just 2-12 inch fluorescent lights. The algae is green colored. And the tank has been set up for about 9 or 10 months.

It is fully cycled and all and haven't had any problem with the levels or any fish in it.

Started noticing the algae about a month or so ago but had just been cleaning it off as I seen it. But now just want to get a little information about it.

Algae Problems

Hello Velk...

Algae is a good thing. It's a sign of a naturally developing tank. Algae is a good nitrate reducer, all kinds of small animals live in it that are good eating for your fish. The plant itself is a good supplement to your fishes' diet. Algae makes the tank look more natural too.

I would leave it for now. If it starts covering all the glass, then maybe you'll need to do larger water changes and do them weekly. I change half the water in my tanks about every week and algae isn't a problem. I don't feed much either, just a little variety a couple of times a week is all.

Adding some floating plants like Anacharis and Pennywort will slow the algae growth and Ramshorn snails will remove it fairly quickly.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Just up your water changes a bit and enjoy watching your tank grow naturally.

B

Hello Velk...

Algae is a good thing. It's a sign of a naturally developing tank. Algae is a good nitrate reducer, all kinds of small animals live in it that are good eating for your fish. The plant itself is a good supplement to your fishes' diet. Algae makes the tank look more natural too.

I would leave it for now. If it starts covering all the glass, then maybe you'll need to do larger water changes and do them weekly. I change half the water in my tanks about every week and algae isn't a problem. I don't feed much either, just a little variety a couple of times a week is all.

Adding some floating plants like Anacharis and Pennywort will slow the algae growth and Ramshorn snails will remove it fairly quickly.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Just up your water changes a bit and enjoy watching your tank grow naturally.

B

Ok thanks!! Good to know. I will just clean the algae off once it seems to building up off the front of the tank and I won't worry as much about it. And I have been thinking I need to do a higher % of water change. I will definitely start.
How much and how often is a healthy to feed the fish?

Hello again Velk...

Excellent question. If you ask 100 people, you'll get 100 different answers. Water keeping isn't an exact science, so a lot of approaches will work. Adult aquarium fish can easily go a couple of weeks or longer without food. In their natural living areas, they're lucky to eat one a week. So, it makes sense to me not to feed much. I feed a little variety of frozen, flaked and dried and feed a couple of times a week. If you have growing fry, then a little every other day is enough. Adult fish though, twice a week. This way, the fish spend the time between feedings looking for a leftover. The fish stay healthy moving all the time and your tank water stays a lot cleaner.

If you keep the water clean, you'll avoid 99 percent of all tank problems.

B

The best way to feed your fish if possible is tiny amounts spread out during the day. Fish dont have a huge stomach so feeding a larger amount once a day isn't suggested. Most people dont have time to do it the first way i mention because of work and other commitments.

Some people feed every other day because SOME fish go days without eating. I actually like to feed a pinch 3 or 4 time daily if flake or dry food. All my foods get spread during the day blood worms, daphnia, brine shrimp, tubiflex and nls as their staple. I alternate flake and frozen.

Eg.

Mon - flake
Tue - blood worm
Wed - flake
Thurs - daphnia

Skipping a day each week.

And so on.

Hello again Velk...

Excellent question. If you ask 100 people, you'll get 100 different answers. Water keeping isn't an exact science, so a lot of approaches will work. Adult aquarium fish can easily go a couple of weeks or longer without food. In their natural living areas, they're lucky to eat one a week. So, it makes sense to me not to feed much. I feed a little variety of frozen, flaked and dried and feed a couple of times a week. If you have growing fry, then a little every other day is enough. Adult fish though, twice a week. This way, the fish spend the time between feedings looking for a leftover. The fish stay healthy moving all the time and your tank water stays a lot cleaner.

If you keep the water clean, you'll avoid 99 percent of all tank problems.

B

Twice a week, well if its working for you. I dont know how my fish would cope though. Some wild fish dont eat very regularly its true but others do, constantly filtering floating particles in the water.

If you feed what they can eat and change your water regularly, fowling the water with food isnt a problem. Granted, they'll definitely move around more between feedings but i find when theyre hungry, the dominant fish hover in the front of the current and any bits get taken and the rest get nothing. Depending on what fish you keep, hunger can seriously drive aggression towards one another and that obviously works the other way too.

But i agree with you when you said feeding isnt a science.

I have began to notice I get little algae spots on my tank. I have a brush and it cleans off real easy. But was wondering if there is a way to reduce it from forming? Is it something I need to worry about? I do a 35% water change every week, and i clean the tank with the brush while I do it.

I did adjust my lights to not be on as long. Before I had them programed to be on for about 13 hours, yesterday I changed it them to be on for about 10 hours. Is this ok or too many hours??

Lights left on too many hours is often a major cause of algae. When you have algae the best thing to do is run lights 6 hours daily until you get algae under control. Once the tank is algae free start upping your lighting schedule by 30 minutes about every 2 or 3 weeks. If the tank stays algae free then keep raising the light level by 30 minutes until you notice algae beginning to develop. That will indicate you need to back your time down 30 minutes and that will give you the amount of hours you can run your lights daily and keep your tank algae free. It's very easy to figure this out if you just take your time and watch your tank.

I feed a little everyday. Should I switch to every other day or something??

Lights left on too many hours is often a major cause of algae. When you have algae the best thing to do is run lights 6 hours daily until you get algae under control. Once the tank is algae free start upping your lighting schedule by 30 minutes about every 2 or 3 weeks. If the tank stays algae free then keep raising the light level by 30 minutes until you notice algae beginning to develop. That will indicate you need to back your time down 30 minutes and that will give you the amount of hours you can run your lights daily and keep your tank algae free. It's very easy to figure this out if you just take your time and watch your tank.

Thanks Rivercats

I do a 50% WC weekly in all my tanks and feed my fish every morning. In the 220g, due to it's size and the amount of fish, I feed them 2x daily. My nitrates never get over 10ppm in that tank or any of my tanks. Each tank has a set amount of time it can be run, depending on the individual factors of each tank, and all are algae free. I don't even have to use an algae magnet to clean my glass.

Sounds like the only thing i really need to change is my water change percentage. I will start doing 50% water changes.

Or even better if you have the time and determination, 30% every 3rd or 4th day. Lots of little changes is better than one big one. This way there is a smaller chance of change in tank conditions.

I go the extra mile and actually dechlorinate and then age my water letting it sit for 24hrs before putting it into my tank. Water straight out the tap can have a different ph than the same water aged and settled.

Back
Top Bottom