Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1111

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have some strange algae in my tank growing on my plants. It's like red. My lights are on 8.5 hrs a day, and it is a current USA satellite freshwater LED+. I have a bristle nose pleco, will he eat it? Here is a pic:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400790642.216565.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400790672.684029.jpg

Algae Problem

So I have some strange algae in my tank growing on my plants. It's like red. My lights are on 8.5 hrs a day, and it is a current USA satellite freshwater LED+. I have a bristle nose pleco, will he eat it? Here is a pic:
View attachment 238051
View attachment 238052

Hello Fish...

There are many kinds of algae. But, most aquarium fish will eat it and it's good for them. New tanks typically have a problem with it until the tank develops or settles. I used to have different kinds and had the best luck with removing the food source. That's typically left over flaked food that dissolved in the tank water. High phosphates can encourage algae growth. By limiting the food that goes into the tank, you reduce the food. Floating plants like Hornwort will use nutrients in the water as soon as they're made available, faster than algae uses them.

A floating plant called Brazilian water weed or Elodea densa or Anacharis is great for a tank with a lot of algae. This plant uses nutrients very quickly and gives off a mild toxin that slows the growth of most kinds of algae. I keep this plant in all my tanks and have very little algae in them.

B

Back
Top Bottom