algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you overfeeding the fish? How big tank? What are your parameters, like ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

You can try Algae Destroyer, works pretty good, but if you don't fix the problem that's causing it, it will come back. I had an algae problem, and found I was feeding too much. So I just cut back on feeding and used some Algae Destroyer, and now no problem. I'm not a big fan on adding chemicals, but it did it's job, and since I'm feeding less, it hasn't come back, so no more need to add Algae Destroyer. I also did a thorough gravel vac and a 50% water change.

Also, algae won't hurt the fish. If you get a couple CAE's, they may keep the problem under control as well. I have 4 in my tank, they do a wonderful job.

First off thanks for your reply. I may be feeding too much thats a possibility. I have one cae as well as an apple snail. My tank is 55 gal. I haven't tried anything chemical cuz I heard it could hurt the fish by removing their natural slime or coating on their skin. I just cleaned the tank less than a month ago and the problem came back with a vengeance. So I will cut back on food and do as you suggest. Thanks again.

Do not use chemicals to get rid of the algae. They only mask the problem. You need to find the root of the problem. Algae is caused by many things. How often do you change the water in the tank? 25% should be changed weekly. This will reduce the amount of phosphate in the water. Phosphate contributes to green algae. In a non-planted tank, Phosphate should be at 0. Does the tank receive direct or indirect sunlight? If so, this will also cause algae issues. Overfeeding will also contribute to the problem. Basically to eliminate or reduce algae, do 25% water changes weekly, keep the tank out of direct/indirect sunlight, and do not overfeed. By following this plan I have never had a spot of algae in our 55 gal tank. The others have issues that are beyond our control (ran out of places to put tanks so they are in indirect sunlight. 8O )

Welcome to AA!

Phosphates do not induce algae. NH4/NH3 (depending on your PH) is the number one cause of greenwater.

Simpte said:
Phosphates do not induce algae. NH4/NH3 (depending on your PH) is the number one cause of greenwater.

I think you have it backwards, Simpte. NH3 is not a cause of algae, however phosphates are. Algae loves it, and nitrates as well.

I'd test your water for phosphates, and follow the advice of the other posters.

Also, it might be worth mentioning that CAE's only eat algae when they are young, and will stop when the reach adulthood. They also can get quite large and agressive as well. A plecostomus is your best algae eating fish option, IMO. And you certainly have the room for it in your 55 gallon tank.

no algae is not harmful for the fish.... but it is a sign that you may have too many nutrients in the water, overstocking, overfeeding, etc. As everyone else arlready said.

Sooo what to do about it? Yes you can check for phosphates and nitrates and if they are high this is probably the cause. Cut back on feeding, go up on your water changes, how often have you been doing water changes? I do mine at least once a week.
What size is your tank? What kind of lighting do you have?
You could always add some live plants!!! If you have low light you could start with low light plants- anubis, crypts, javer fern/moss.

What kind of fish do you have? If the tank is big enough you could always add a "clean up crew" Pleco, Otos...

Back
Top Bottom