Algae and tank cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apotocki

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok....I have a 70 gallon that has been up and running for 12 weeks now. It's been approx 4 weeks since my tank cycled and I've been adding fish every week. Water quality remains good (0 ammonia, 0 Nitrite, about 5 Nitrate, Ph a rock solid 7 and the temp 79)

My 'problem' is that I seem to be getting a quick (and continuing) build up of algae...mostly brown but some has turned green. It's starting to bother me as my once pristine looking tank is starting to look (as my wife puts it - ugly). Is this a normal happening for a relatively new tank and it will eventually slow down?

I've tried vacuuming the gravel (lightly and 1/2 at a time) as well as PWC's of 30% about 2xweek. My silk plants look terrible and I've taken all of them out and cleaned them probably 2-3 times already. The algae comes back within about 3 days.

I added a Gold Nugget Pleco about 2 weeks ago and while he did a good job of cleaning the driftwood, he doesn't seem to be doing much for the rest of the tank. He's about 4 inches and I NEVER see him during the day!?! (although he looks really cool, I'm starting to wonder why I paid the 'big bucks' for him!) He's very shy and hangs out in the cave ALL THE TIME!

Any ideas? Maybe my lighting is too much or on too long? (I'm running a dual tube (due to the tank being very tall) for about 11 hours a day.Would adding a couple (2-3?) Oto's help??? My LFS initially told me not to get Oto's until there was green algae...they said to get a Pleco instead.

Thanks in advance.

My 'problem' is that I seem to be getting a quick (and continuing) build up of algae...mostly brown but some has turned green. It's starting to bother me as my once pristine looking tank is starting to look (as my wife puts it - ugly). Is this a normal happening for a relatively new tank and it will eventually slow down?

The brown "algae" that you are seeing in the tank are called Diatoms. They are common in newer tanks and will eventually disappear on their own as the tank ages. Diatoms are brought about by a combination of things:

- Low lighting levels- Increasing the wattage of the lighting will help the diatoms to disappear but the higher lighting can open the door for other, more persistant types of algae

- Diatoms will also occur when there are high nitrates and/or phosphates in the tank.

I've tried vacuuming the gravel (lightly and 1/2 at a time) as well as PWC's of 30% about 2xweek. My silk plants look terrible and I've taken all of them out and cleaned them probably 2-3 times already. The algae comes back within about 3 days.

Diatoms are unsightly but they are harmless. As you are already seeing they can spread and cover everything quite rapidy. I would just keep up with the gravel vacs and multiple water changes. The diatoms will wipe off the glass and decor easily enough most of the time. Cutting down on the amount of food being fed will also help.

I added a Gold Nugget Pleco about 2 weeks ago and while he did a good job of cleaning the driftwood, he doesn't seem to be doing much for the rest of the tank. He's about 4 inches and I NEVER see him during the day!?! (although he looks really cool, I'm starting to wonder why I paid the 'big bucks' for him!) He's very shy and hangs out in the cave ALL THE TIME!

Gold Nugget plecs are gogeous fish but they make for poor algae grazers. They require a protein based diet. Prawns, mussel, shrimp pellets, alage wafers and blanched veggies will all be eaten. If you need a good plec for eating algae you can look into getting a couple of Ancistrus (Bristlenose plecs). They will be okay in the tank with the GNP.

Live plants can be used to outcompete the diatoms for nutrients. Hornwort is a nutrient sponge and can be planted or left floating.

Bryan

Bryan - THANKS.

I kinda figured the brown algae was due to the tanks newness but it is extremely aggravating! My only 'fear' though is that you mention that the diatoms are brought on by low light levels - of which I thought that my lighting may be too great and/or also a build up of phosphates/nitrates.....also of which I appear to not have. I'll continue to clean and do my regular PWC/vacuuming and hopefully it will subside a bit. I did see a greater build up of this about 3/4 of the way through my cycle and it continues but maybe not at quite the same rate (but that 'may' be due to the pleco).
As to the pleco.....I wish the LFS would have told me that the Gold Nugget wasn't the 'best' algae eater. They kinda misled me in this area, I think. Maybe I should get another Pleco OR would 2-3 Oto's be better? Also, I hardly EVER see this guy. Any idea's/suggestions as to getting him out a bit more during 'normal' daylight hours (I'm assuming that he comes out when the lights go out).

Alan

Well if it is really starting to bother you, get some phosphate absorbing media. You could get some cut your own phosphate sponge or get some resin. An example of resin is "AZOO Algae Resin". This decreases nitrates, ammonia, phosphates, algae and other stuff and in general improves healthy water quality in general.

Back
Top Bottom