Algae Blackout Gone Bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryan87500

Aquarium Advice Freak
I decided to do a blackout to combat some BGA. I covered the tank in garbage bags and it has been two days. While near the tank I thought I heard a drip noise and upon further inspection found a wet wood floor. It appears that the garbage bag was a bad idea as it let condensation build up on the outside and run down the bag. I quickly emptied out as much water as I needed to get furniture mover pads under the tank so I could push it to the side and clean the mess and get a fan.

First time I am happy I only had a small 36 gallon tank and could move it.

Anyway for anyone who has done a blackout what do you cover with to avoid this?

For the night I took my filter out and put it in another Tank and left if half full with a airstrips so I could move it back. I added some prime just in case since I don't have the filter going. Now I have to decide if I continue for another day or two or give up on the blackout and hope it was enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What about black cloth?

Or try Saran wrapping the top and taping the edges of the Saran Wrap to keep the moisture in.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just get some snails and call it a day. They will devour the algae and are cute to boot.

Back
Top Bottom