Algae Bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ceej

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What are the best ways to get rid of it?

ForumRunner_20120103_173720.jpg

Is it the brown on the rock I'm looking at?

Could you answer these Qs?

What size tank, what lights and how long are they on for a day?

Is the tank new?

I think it's brown diatoms which relate to excess silicates I believe?

Hopefully someone will chime in with better advice

29g. As for the light.. aqueon 8000k full spectrum daylight. 17w T8 24"

It's on from 9a-6p. I turn it on from 7p-9p sometimes.

Lights are advised to be on for 8-10 hours per day, I've just suffered a major alge issue and total blackout for me worked a treat! Good luck!

maestromad said:
Lights are advised to be on for 8-10 hours per day, I've just suffered a major alge issue and total blackout for me worked a treat! Good luck!

They're on for 9 hrs usually. How many hours did you leave your lights off for?

I had a total blackout for 3 days but I had a major issue and couldn't see my fish!
That included wrapping a blanket around the tank

I'm confused about the short lighting times. Seems shutting off that early would mean u don't get to enjoy it when u get home from work/school in the afternoons. I'm currently only running a 10 and am about to set up a 55, but my light is on a timer set to come on at 6am and go off at 10 pm. I've never really had a problem with algae even during startup cycle.

Would a better idea be turn the light off for a few hours during the day while your out so you can enjoy it in the afternoon.

If it is diatoms then they should burn out in due time if the tank is new. Also dont do a tank black out if you have live plants they could really suffer from it and the diatoms would probably still be there. The best idea is to just scrub them off using tooth brush or somethingg.

I'm going to change the times so I can enjoy it after work. The tank is fairly new.... been set up for a month. I don't have live plants in this tank, so I'm not worried about turning off the lights. Ive scrubbed the rock, but the algae came back. It's on the leaves of plants and the gravel. Ill try and scrub it off again, then do a pwc?

I'm in the same position so have changed my lights to come on 1pm-9pm that way I can enjoy them!

Yeah, I changed mine to the same time! Gonna leave them off all day today and check the algae after work. Probably leave them off all day tomorrow, too. 1-9pm is a lot better!

Personally for me it's just so I can enjoy them! My water is doing great after the blackout and the fish fine!

maestromad said:
Personally for me it's just so I can enjoy them! My water is doing great after the blackout and the fish fine!

That's good news!

Back
Top Bottom