algae bloom :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sciencegirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there
I've had my 6 tetras in my 10 gallon tank for about 5 days now, and today I noticed a bunch of algae on the big gravel and starting to grow on the walls of the tank. My plants are also growing like mad. Is there a community algae eater that could live in such a small tank, and be nice to tetras?

Is it brown or green algae? I have a pitbull pleco that is an awesome cleaner of brown and green algae, he won't get any bigger then 2 inches and is very peaceful. Great for a 10 gallon. :D

It looks like green algae; but oddly the stuff on the gravel (right under the filter - weird) looks brown. Ok, DH just said green - definitely green.

Regarding the pleco - I read that they prefer sandy bottom, but stupid us bought big stoned gravel. Would it be ok, or recommended, to add some finer stuff on top just to mix it up a little?

Also, I read that they may prefer being in groups? Will one get lonely?
Thanks!

Your pleco should be fine with the gravel. That is what I actually had before I switched mine to sand. I didn't do it for the pleco, but more so because I thought it had a more natural look.

Also, I read that they may prefer being in groups? Will one get lonely?

I think your referring to the Corydoras. Cories feel safer and are more active in a small group of 3 or more and aren't really considered Algae Eaters. As for the pleco's, I personally feel they prefer to be by themselves.

Besides the algae, you can feed them sinking shrimp pellets, zuchinni, peas, and algae wafers. The pitbull pleco is happy having all the algae to himself. :D HTH

Back
Top Bottom