Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Question algae blooming durring cycle

i have just started my cycle in a 20 gallon tank with two blue gouramis and there is green and sometimes brown algae growing on a rock in the middle of the tank. the green algae is always there while the brown comes and goes on a daily bases. what should i do? i dont want to add an algae eater because it would stress the cycle too much and i also dont want to use any medications. HELP

JOMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

What's wrong with a little algae? Honestly I'd love to have algae in my tank. Give my tank a more natural look and the albino Cory catfish could have some extra food. They have something called tetra algae remover my neighbors use it it works great for them. They have some other brands but they say tetra works best for them. I didn't experience any algae during my cycle. I do know that one color is caused by too much lighting the other is caused in not enough lighting. Check walmart Petco lfs etc for algae remover. You could manually remove it daily with siphon or scrubber or something. But if you can use the algae control liquid to stop it longer term.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Whats your lighting cycle look like?

Does your tank get direct sunlight?

I wouldnt wory too much about the brown algae (diatoms) the tank is new, they will disappear soon.

IMO, if it is only on the rock then I wouldnt worry about it unless its on the glass.

Minimum requirements means minimum happiness.
Lowryder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com