Algae control!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calvin and Kyle

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a 20 long with a young axolotl living in the tank. I have several rocks some driftwood and 1 Anubis plant. The lighting is an internal led strip that is suctioned to the backwall. It lights the whole tank but only gives enough light to really grow low light plants.

What can I do to ensure algae is under control?? It's not a problem now but I wanna prevent it before it becomes a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Have the lights on a timer get some snails or an algae eater and clean it with an algae brush and add more plants
For light times I do 8-12 2-6 and have little problems
For snails add some pond snails.
For algae eater add a school of ottos or a Chinese algae eater
Adding more plants will choke out the algae. Algae takes in co2 slower that most plants so with enough plants the algae won't be able to get the co2 it needs to grow
Clean it out weekly with an algae brush and what I do personally is have a kitchen sponge to to scrape off the algae that's giving you a harder time. Just make sure it's never been used before so you don't harm your little guy.

Keep calm and drum on

Yeah I can't do that. It's already on a timer. Snails I thought were a no go because it's an axolotl and if it decides to eat one it can get trapped in its digestive track and kill it. And fish were doomed to be eaten and possibly harmful to the axolotl due to any variation of catfish having a hard spine for its digestion.

But I can do the scraper and possibly a couple more plants!

Also axolotls require cold water. But I did throw some shrimp in there to clean up any leftovers expecting them to be eaten eventually. (Ghost shrimp)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ghost shrimp won't eat algae but they will clean us any leftover food decreasing the likelihood of algae growing

Keep calm and drum on

Back
Top Bottom