Algae Crew should be here TODAY!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumFreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I ordered my algae crew and they should be getting here within the next 2 hours :D

I am hoping these guys can help keep some of the algae down in my 90gal, tell me what you guys think:

6 - SAE's
6 - Oto's
3 - Red Cherry Shrimp
4 - Rudolph Red Nose Shrimp
10 Olive Nerite Snails

Am I missing anyone? :)

The SAEs would do just fine on their own IME, mine do in my 72 planted. Just make sure you have algae wafers for additional feeding when the algae is wiped out, or else you will have some hungry critters.

Make sure you save some of the tanks bioload capacity for fish other than scavengers and algae eaters :)

You been studying up on your basic water chimistry skills?

As mentioned. make sure you have some algae wafers, cucumbers and zucunni to feed all those fella's after they reid the tank of all the algae, or you'll have another problem on your hands.

Dingy water and an Amon spike from all the decaying algae eaters that were starved to death.

Being doing my home work.... so far so good and no Amon spikes yet. I got my RO unit in today so I am trying to figure out how much of a wanter change I should do tonight... I'm thinking around 20gal to start so not to stress out the fish

Thats a good idea Jeff, re 20 Gallons so as not to stress the fish. Have you checked out Rex's recommendations on dosing potassium and checking your phosphates and nitrates as well as your kh, gh, pH. Cause if your too low or especially if your too high on phosphates that can trigger major algae blooms. As you know the plants need certain macro nutrients like potassium and nitrates. You will probably need to dose the potassium. These macros need to all be in balance so the plants can out compete the algae. But it does take a while for the plants to get to the right size and the nitryfing bacteria to build up to handle the load. After some months, the gravel will have good colonies of nitrifying bacteria so you don't want to gravel vac, except skimming the surface. But you probably know all of this. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom