Algae Eater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adammorrill

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, i want to get an algae eater for my 36 gallon tank. I dont really want snails and i want it to be good with the stock im planning to have. Here is the fish that i will eventually have

1 dwarf gourami
5-6 cory ctas
5 neon tetras
5 black neon tetras
1 ruby clown cichlid

so is there a good algae eater that would go good in my tank? Thanks

I don't think people should get algae eaters if they have an algae problem, if you actually like the fish than go for it. But if not, get an algae scrubber and cut down on the time your lights are on :)

Some fish that eat algae:
Otos
Bristlenose plexus

Fish that wouldn't work:
Siamese algae eater (too big and like schools)
Chinese algae eater. (only eats algae when it's young)
The majority of the plecos (too big)

I really like my otos, tiny, energetic and fun to watch, as well as being awesome at algae control.

if i get a bristlenose pleco would it be find with all the other bottom dwellers? [cory cats and ruby clown cichlid]

I have a clown plec and it is worthless. But I have a serious green algae problem. Maybe that's why. Any recommendations for green algae? I don't mind snails, I just don't want a bazillion of them.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Pitbull plecos, rubberlip plecos, BN plecos, otos, nerite snails are a few good ones.
Aren't pitbull and rubberlips the same thing?!

abrahamavelar said:
Scrobbing pwc n wat r ur par.

Did you even read the OP post?! They asked what would be a good algae eating fish for the tank once it's running and stocked. They aren't going to have any parameters, also correct spelling and punctuation goes a long way.

For your tank I wouldn't recommend anything off the bat. If you are having algae problems when you set the tank up I would try to figure out the root cause of the algae, lights to many nutrients ect. If you still want to get something to combat potential algae outbreak I would suggest ottos, snails, shrimp but I wouldn't add them for at least 6 months.

ok thanks mogurako i will probally wait then. Do you think its my bamboo that is causing it? I know its not an aquatic plant and it is starting to turn brown so is that it? Or is it because the tank is kinda close to my window? Thanks

Amano shrimps would be preferred, they're prolific algae eaters. My friend bought 10 of them and it cleaned up all the algae in his planted 10g tank in just a few days!

I'd get a few first to see if your Ruby Cichlid will snack on them, but most likely it'll leave them alone if they're adult size.

The tank being next to the window would be a cause also I'd remove the bamboo.

NoMoreGoldFish said:
I'd get a few first to see if your Ruby Cichlid will snack on them, but most likely it'll leave them alone if they're adult size.

Ruby chiclid is a nick name for Bolivian ram, the shrimp will be fine.

ok thanks everybody i decided to try the amno shrimp,take out the bamboo,and make sure the window drapes are closed:)

I will second the recommendation for oto's and bristlenose pleco's. I don't get them just for algae control, I get them because I love the little guys :). I bought mine initially but I feed them algae wafers and lots of fresh zucchini and cucumber. They will eat algae but you have to supplement their diets as well for them to thrive.

I will second the recommendation for oto's and bristlenose pleco's. I don't get them just for algae control, I get them because I love the little guys :). I bought mine initially but I feed them algae wafers and lots of fresh zucchini and cucumber. They will eat algae but you have to supplement their diets as well for them to thrive.

Exactly, my algae problem is under control but i love my otos.

Back
Top Bottom