Algae eater for cold water (goldies) tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsoong

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am getting tired of removing algae from my goldies tank - esp. after the algae explosion this last few weeks! :( - so thinking about maybe an algae eater...

From my search on the web, there seems to be 2 camps:
Nothing but golds with golds .... or
Selected algae eaters will work.

I am considering:
1. hillstream loach - apparenntly the best AE for a cold water tank, but I haven't found one in a LFS yet.
2. School of Otos - small size may become snacks for my goldies.
3. maybe rubber lip or bristle nose pleco - although I have read of them attacking golds ....

Anyone has any first hand experience with this? Thanks.

BTW - Tank stats: 70 gal with 30 gal sump & wet dry, 6 fancy golds (maybe up to 8 or 9 in future?)
pH 7.8, temp 72, light - 80 watts on 12 Hrs, some plants.

In terms of temperature the hillstream loach (Hong Kong pleco) is going to be your best option, and should enjoy any algae you might have. I'd go on aquabid.com and see if you can get yourself one that way.

I'd not go with otocinclus - they will not do well in cooler temps and are too small for goldfish. I don't think rubberlip or BN plecos actually "attack" goldfish but I have heard of common plecos latching on to large fish and rasping away.

I think it really boils down to temperature of the tank, and it may be that fighting algae other ways will be a better solution.

Back
Top Bottom