Algae eater suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nikkid1987

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want a "sucker fish" lol but Im new to the fish world and I don't know if it would live ,have enough to eat or what to even feed it if there's not algae for it to eat ! I know this sounds dumb but I just need experienced people's input :) thanks

I want a "sucker fish" lol but Im new to the fish world and I don't know if it would live ,have enough to eat or what to even feed it if there's not algae for it to eat ! I know this sounds dumb but I just need experienced people's input :) thanks

Not dumb at all!! Just have a few questions.

Size tank
Tank mates
Why do you want one exactly

The no list:

Chinese algae eaters. These things are the devil

Other than that their all pretty good, my favourite is the Otto algae eater.
Also like plecos.

If you have lots of plants ottos are good other than amano shrimp

^^^ yeah the only way to have them is with agressive fish or else they will kill all your flat faced fish.

Not dumb at all!! Just have a few questions.

Size tank
Tank mates
Why do you want one exactly

10g
2 glo tetras
Fantail calico goldfish
And a harlequin _______( I forgot the last part lol)
I want one because I Just like them . Their appearance is strange and I don't know why but I love em lol

Even if there is no algae to eat in the tank there are algae disks looking food available at fish/pet stores

There's a sand Cory cat or Corydoras arcuatus but really all the ones I've ever seen or read about in the "book" require 20 gallons or more. There are a variety of Cory (Corydoras) Catfish

But keep in mind yours is a 10 gallon

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=830+1161

Then there's the Oto Catfish or Otocinclus Catfish.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+1162+923&pcatid=923

Again though needing a slightly larger tank.

I've also "heard" that of you keep Cory's you should have sand so it doesn't injure there barbels.

I have no experience with this but it's what I've read and others have told me.

And correct you can feed it algae wafers.

I have gravel in mine. So is a pleco not a good idea?

Yes just make sure not to get a common they get HUGE! Try and find a smaller one because you have a 10 gallon? Some suggestions would be a clown pleco? They get to be about 3-4', but you would need some driftwood.

Plecos are generally pretty peaceful fish. The only time you will have to worry about aggression is when you have too many crowded into a small area. Also, yes they do need driftwood to suck on as it aids their digestive system. One last thing, most plecos need algae wafers to survive. Algae doesn't provide them with a sufficient source of protein so they usually starve in most tanks

Plecos are generally pretty peaceful fish. The only time you will have to worry about aggression is when you have too many crowded into a small area. Also, yes they do need driftwood to suck on as it aids their digestive system. One last thing, most plecos need algae wafers to survive. Algae doesn't provide them with a sufficient source of protein so they usually starve in most tanks

Thank you :) I appreciate all of y'all's patience lol and the great advice !

I haven't fed a wafer in about a month... They come out at feeding time and roam the bottom and grab the pellets BUT I do agree. Just saying I need to get more wafers :)

I haven't fed a wafer in about a month... They come out at feeding time and roam the bottom and grab the pellets BUT I do agree. Just saying I need to get more wafers :)

A month?! I feed one every night haha but then I have three plecos in the same tank.

Back
Top Bottom