Algae Eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlrust1816

Aquarium Advice Regular
Right now I have a CAE and he does not seem to be doing the job because i still have a abundent amount of this brown algae. What fish would be my best option to clean things up

Attachments

• algae2_902.jpg
    algae2_902.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 72
  • algae_171.jpg
    algae_171.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 74
The only fish I know of that actually eats brown algae (aka diatoms) is the otocinclus catfish.

Chinese algae eaters won't eat brown algae at all. As juveniles, they will eat green algae off surfaces, but as they mature, their algae-eating habits decline and they sometimes become aggressive - feeding off other fish' slime coats. Siamese algae eaters are a safer bet.

well when i set up my 15 gal tank my red tailed sharked cleaned up algae very well and it was brown algae but it also might of been my shark catfish but you have to have an appropriate tank for those and i dont right now :oops:

I have otos and a rubberlip pleco for algae duty in my 55 gal. Otos do very well for wood and rocks in the tank, and the rubberlip works wonders on the small green spots on the glass.

i love the gracefulness and how cool they look on the glass, but i seriously can't deal with how big and ugly they get, i iwsh they stayed small, like 4 inches or so

my gold nugget pleco actually ate some of my brown algae... otherwise i did the 48 hour black out and my algae was under control... theres just one or two patches of it on my powerhead

Back
Top Bottom