Algae eaters for a 37G tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taiter42

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking to get some algae eaters for my tank. It is a 37 Gallon tank and there is algae present now. The tank has been up for a couple of months now. I have 5 neon tetras and 3 glo fish in the tank currently and a variety of plants.

I am think of a couple of different options atm one being Otocinclus Catfish. If i go with them how many to a school for them? The other I have been looking at is Bushy Nose Pleco.

Leaning towards the otto what are your thoughts.

What type of algae? Just your basic green algae Otos would be the best choice a group of five or more. But in many cases algae can be eliminated without the use of fish.

A picture to identify the algae would be best but honestly pinpointing the problem causing the algae and correcting it would be best. When having algae issue you should only run lights 6 hours for starters. Plus some types of algae can be spot treated.

How long are you running lights daily? What type of lights and bulbs are you using? You said the tank is planted so are you using CO2 or liquid carbon? What ferts are you using? Do you know your nitrate and phosphate levels?

Something else to think about is the fact different algae eaters eat different types of algae. Some algae no algae eater will eat. There is nothing wrong with having fish that eat algae in a tank but they should be used as a method to keep algae under control. If the reason it's growing isn't corrected often times algae will get out of control to where algae eaters simply cannot keep up with it.

Back
Top Bottom