Algae growing on snail??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfriend09

Aquarium Advice Activist
Last night i saw my assassin snail for the first time in about 2 months and i noticed that his shell is slightly green looking. When i had a closer look it actually looks like it is algae growing on it. Wondering if anyone else has ever seen this on their snails.

Also does anyone know what my assassin could be living off as there isn't any other snails in the tank for him to go after. Could he just be living off leftover bits of food and stuff?

If you got algae growing in the rest of the aquarium, it's very common for it to grow on the snail shell as well.

Assassins will eat other meaty foods too. The algae isn't anything to worry about. I had mystery snails that had algae on them.

Oh well that's alright then. When i was up at my LFS earlier i managed to get the woman to give me about a dozen or so pest snails free of charge for the assassin just in case he is getting bored, haha.

I actually tried to scrub this off my apple snail but had no luck. At least in a reef tank, it will turn purple rather than green.

My Mystery snail has algae growing off of it. Maybe i should get some pest snails for him to munch on, even though he eats ALL the algae on the glass, cleans the rocks, and cleans up after the fish. Good snaily!

Pest snails to munch on the mystery shell algae or pest snails for the mystery snail to munch on? Mystery snails don't eat other snails.

My Mystery snail has algae growing off of it. Maybe i should get some pest snails for him to munch on, even though he eats ALL the algae on the glass, cleans the rocks, and cleans up after the fish. Good snaily!

Pest snails to munch on the mystery shell algae or pest snails for the mystery snail to munch on? Mystery snails don't eat other snails.

Woops! I meant for other snails to eat his algae on his shell. They wouldn't have anything to eat except his shell algae. I'm not going to get them, though. I have 21 snails! (well, going to have 21 snails) :)

Back
Top Bottom