Algae Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shiba

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a huge algae bloom in my 10 gallon tank. The biggest problem is, is that I have more than one kind of algae and I'm not sure how to deal with all of them at once. I think what I'm seeing is, brown algae, blue green algae, and some black brush algae. I'm not to worried about the black brush because my SAE has been doing a fairly good job of keeping it in check. It's the other two I'm concerned with. They are growing on everything and have taken over my java moss.

I have an algae shrimp too but he doesn't seem to be eating any of it. I have a bulldog pleco in my other tank but I don't want to overstock my 10 gallon. Do you think I can do a temporary swap between my bulldog and another fish and see if he'll help with any of it?

I can't add chemicals to the tank because it will hurt my shrimp. So far I've just been keeping the light off most of the day. But my corkscrew val need it so I try and leave it on for at least an hour or two. Does anyone have any suggestions?

first of all, if it is blue green algae, its nearly impossible to get rid of completely. secondly, the brown algae should be gone after your sae is done, assuming hes not going to get lazy. post pics of the algae and ill see if i can help more. good luck.

BGA is quite easy to fix actually. A 3-5 blackout will kill it, as will erythromycin, which should be shrimp safe (research that on your own). After that, make sure your tank doesn't bottom out on nitrate. BGA (which is actually cyanoBACTERIA) can fix atmospheric nitrogen dissolved in water, which allows it to out-compete nitrate dependent species. Make sure your tanks always have nitrate (weird thing to say...) and a bit more cirrculation and you should be able to keep it at bay.

FYI BBA = too high lights + not enough CO2. Once your other algaes stop competing against it, it might explode.

Also, SAEs are too big for a 10g. As are any plecos.

Back
Top Bottom