Algae Identification Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ovid

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all, I am hoping we have an algae expert out there somewhere. I have a type of algae I have been intentionally growing for several years. In each new aquarium I start that has large base rock, I seed with a couple rocks from my established aquariums. The algae seems to restrict itself to the base rock and seems to help greatly with controlling any other algae.

The algae I am speaking of is a redish-purple fuzz that clings mightily to the rock and is slippery to the touch. Here is the best photo I have been able to take of the stuff:

image-2801005062.jpg

I don't believe this algae to be harmful, since I have been "cultivating" it for several years, but my search for identifying it has concluded with poor results. Any leads would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

does it just stick like flat "fuzz" or does it get bigger? I can't really pick out the look of it in the pick but I know there is a type of algae that's redish purple that is usually a marine thing but there are some strains that can survive in freshwater. But they are mostly bigger looking, hair like sometimes, have more "volume" than what seems to be in your tank

Not really sure if I'm helpful at all though. You probably would have come across all of this in a simple google search.

Thanks for the reply. The length of the algae seems to stay between 1 and 2 mm in length, but will fill in more solidly. After time, the entire surface of the rock will be covered with the strands. Only the tops of the rocks will grow it, so it is fairly safe to say it needs a good amount of light to grow. The texture, to look at, reminds me of new, inexpensive pool table felt. As I mentioned before, the algae is not really a nuisance to me, but I would like to know what it is. I did Google several variations searching for the stuff, but I didn't see anything out there that resembled it. Thanks again for any additional input you may have.

Back
Top Bottom